All grain gravity is off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigemags05

Reaction score
I brewed an Amber Ale 6 weeks ago. It was my 2nd AG batch.

My target OG was 1.052 but I ended up with an OG of 1.062. I am not sure why but I think it was because my efficiency jumped quite a bit from batch one to batch two.

Today I went to keg it and my FG is 1.024.

That seems kind of high to me. Its been 6 weeks at 68 degrees. Should I go ahead and keg it? Wait a little longer? Add a little yeast?

I used Wyeast American Ale yeast.

Yes, 160 is pretty high. The grain will still convert but the sugar will be less fermentable. You probably should have been nearer 152-154.

How does it taste?

That's likely your issue. I wouldn't expect it to come down any more if you mashed that high. But that's not the worst thing in the world. Assuming it tastes OK, as Dan queried, you'll just have a high-bodied, low-ABV amber. If it tastes bad, you can try an enzyme to help break the complex sugars into simpler sugars. Bean-o is such a choice, and there are brewing-specific versiond of the same enzyme.

Back