white labs vial yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriss1241

Reaction score
So I got a new beer kit for Christmas including a vial of white lab yeast. The problem is that I forgot to tell my wife that if she got the kit to refrigerate the yeast. The yeast sat at room temperature for about 3 weeks. Upon opening it today I realized the issue with the yeast. I put it in the fridge for when I am ready to brew.

My question is, will the yeast be OK to use after sitting at room temperature for 3 weeks?

Thanks,

Chris

Well sitting out, then being opened is not good for the critters. How far is your closest source for Wyeast or White Labs? Anything local? I would replace it.

pitch it into a starter.. if it takes off and looks / smells fine use it. If not you know what to do. I had a friend that let a wyeast pack sit out for about a week at room temperature. We pitched it into a starter then the wort the next day. We needed a blow off tube.

It's no problem. Think ... yeast sits under beer for a long time at room temperature without ill affects. Yes, it would have been better in the fridge, and you may have lost a few % viability, but don't frett it; there's plenty of live yeast in that vial.

Give your wife a hug and tell her how great she is and just make sure to make a starter when you use it.

+1 to all of the above. Make a starter and give it a few days. You might also consider always keeping some dry yeast on hand like Safale 05 (since it works in lots of beers) for just this kind of situation if the starter doesnt work and you need to brew.

+1 to all of the above. Make a starter and give it a few days. You might also consider always keeping some dry yeast on hand like Safale 05 (since it works in lots of beers) for just this kind of situation if the starter doesnt work and you need to brew.

+ 1

got 2 sachets of: Nottingham, s-04, and us-05 in the fridge door lol

Back