General Concentrate Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those that have made this...how sweet are we talking? I plan to use the 10# sugar with 10 - Welch's grape juice concentrate, not the stuff that has the high fructose corn syrup in it...

For those that have made this...how sweet are we talking? I plan to use the 10# sugar with 10 - Welch's grape juice concentrate, not the stuff that has the high fructose corn syrup in it...

It depend of what fruit juice you use. Even the brand can make a difference. Mine mostly tend to run semi-sweet to dry.

Giving this a try tonight.

8.8# Table Sugar (4kg bag was on sale)
10 295ml cans Minute Maid Cranberry concentrate
1 tablespoon yeast energizer
1 tablespoon yeast nutrient
1 packet EC-1118 yeast
Filtered water to neck of carboy

Brought sugar to a boil with an unmeasured amount of filtered water. Dissolved yeast energizer and nutrient while cooling. Dumped sugar solution and juice concentrate into glass carboy. Rinsed cans with filtered water and added to carboy. Filled to neck with filtered water and pitched yeast directly to fermenter. Inserted bung/airlock filled with starsan and commenced waiting period.

I'm 1.2# short of the sugar prescribed in the original recipe, but the OG was a syrupy sweet 1.114-15, so I think it will be fine, hopefully not too dry. I'll update on progress.

20160227_040026.jpg

20160227_053840.jpg

I just started a 1 gal. batch of cranberry tonight.

2 cans of cranberry concentrate
2+ lbs. of sugar (didn't stop pouring quick enough)
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Montrachet yeast
spring water to neck of 1 gal. jug

I have a hydrometer on order but it won't get here until next week. This is only my 4th 1 gal. batch of anything and I'm just following other people's recipes for now and hoping for the best. ;)

We shall see!

Well, FAJC makes fantastic apple wine; I generally use three 12 oz cans per gallon of apple juice. It makes a lot of alcohol, but with sufficient aging it really smooths out.

I've done this in the past with fruit, but has anyone done this using liquid concentrates?

For example, here's a mango concentrate on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071F94VFC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'm wondering how much water and sugar to use. Or, would this type of concentrate be about equivalent to frozen concentrates?

Thanks!

Brews in progress: strawberry from frozen berries

Last edited by a moderator:
OK total beginner here and just made this with 2-12oz cans of OLD ORCHARD pineapple-orange concentrate.According to the container on sugar is added to it. Anyway this is my 3rd attempt at wine making but haven't tasted any yet. 1st was a small batch of Merlot I purchased from Midwest Supplies a couple years ago but only starting on 1-26-2019 and just bottled it a week ago. 2nd gallon I started on 3-19-2019 and it's just starting to work. My question is regarding the SG. All of these reading were taken the day I mixed them up. First gallon the SG was 1.095. Second batch was 1.099. This new gallon today was 1.120 of course I'm not really completely understanding the hydrometer but noticed today it was sticking much further out of the sample. Which did I mess up?

Last edited:
None. The Sg readings you took are the OG (original gravity) assuming the yeasts ferment all the sugars (to dry) it will then read 1.000 to 0.996
(FG) so take the FG subtract it from the OG and then multiply by 131.25, this will give you the ABV%.
The higher the OG the higher the finished ABV.
1.12o may leave some residual sugar if the ueast hits it max alcohol % before the sugar has all been fermented.
hope this makes sense.

Transferred this to the secondary this morning after 9 days and the SG was .990. Put a clean lock on it and will let it sit for another couple weeks then transfer again. So far so good with this batch. Thanks for the help fellas.

Leave it till it clears or has 1/4 inch of lees. The one thing I'm learning about this hobby is that no 2 batches will act exactly the same way at the same time. There is no exact timetable for them.
And patience is your friend.

Back