A brag and a question on saving yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tw0fish

Reaction score
Just bottled my first gallon of what I like to call -

Poison Apple Party Cyser
1 gallon [Upscale Grocery Store] apple cider
1 Lb leftover Goldenrod Honey

Abbey Ale yeast (IIRC it was Wyeast - gotta keep better records)

Came out nicely. Apple-y, the floral notes from the goldenrod survived, sweet with sufficient alcohol (No OG or FG readings here!). Got it sitting in the fridge, in bottles with the patented Tw0FishCo(tm) aluminfoilontop-o-tronic safety caps :D

Anyway, that yeast was like eight bucks for the little test tubey thing. I got 5x750ml bottles out of it, plus about 6oz off the end that's sure to be full of lees/trub and such. Tossed that last end of it into a beer bottle I'd sanitized for just such a purpose.

I get the feeling this is gonna be big amongst the fam, and may warrant another batch. Would there be any unforeseen problems with pitching that "starter bottle" back into a new round of Cyser? I understand that things can get strange after many generations, but has it been many generations for my yeast? (It'd sat in the primary for two weeks exactly.)
Thanks!

each time you ferment is one generation, so if you pitch this yeast back into the next one... it would be going on its 2nd generation

but if you are making an extremely high alcohol drink, this could be stress the yeast out.. and produce off/unwanted flavors and other bad things.

Latest posts

Back