Goose Island IPA Clone Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peecan52

Reaction score
Goose Island's IPA is the beer that got me into beer. I would like to attempt to clone it. There website lists it as a single pale malt and 4 hops- Styrian, Fuggles, Cascade, and Centennial. IBU=55 and 5.9% ABV. Here is what I came up with:

12 lb 8 oz Maris Otter

4 oz Styrian(2.9% AA) @ 60
2 oz Cascade(5.5%AA) @ 5
4 oz Fuggles(3.8%AA) @ 5
2 oz Centennial(10% AA) Dry Hop

Safale S-04 Yeast

According to Beer Calculus this hits the IBU's and the ABV

Does this seem right? It seems like a lot of hops for only 55 IBU. Just curious for some feed back.

I am not familiar with the beer but it looks to me that you have the hops mixed up a bit.

Styrian is an aroma hop and you are using it as a bittering hop. Out of those listed I would use Centennial as the bittering hop and also as a mid addition hop with cascades. I would then finish it with the Styrian and Fuggles with some Cascade and dry hop with Cascades or Centennial.

And you will not have to use so much hops if you use the higher AA% Centennials for bittering. If you use 4 oz of Centennial at 60, it will be real bitter.

Play around with different quantities in the calculator. Try:

1 oz Centennial @ 60
.5 oz Cascade @ 15
1 oz Styrian @ 10
1 oz Fuggles @ 5
.5oz Fuggles and .5 oz Styrian @ Flame Out

I'm curious to see if this was brewed and how it turned out. GI IPA is one of my favorites. I'm still fermenting my first batch, a stout, but I would love to give this a shot sometime soon!

Latest posts

Back