If you could ask a brew masters a question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I would rather discuss how Biermuncher got those beers looking so good. Well, I know I am thread jacking, but damn, did you use whirlfloc/irish moss and just cold crash? Or was gelatin involved or something else?

Here's a pic KingBrian took of a brew I sent him (he takes WAY better pics than I do):

HartfordLager.jpg

i skipped reading all the posts leading up to this and am going to answer the subject line question directly:

I would ask him for a job.

Personally, I would rather discuss how Biermuncher got those beers looking so good. Well, I know I am thread jacking, but damn, did you use whirlfloc/irish moss and just cold crash? Or was gelatin involved or something else?

This thread has already been jacked one time over this sort of issue, without provoking the previous "discussion" that has since been deleted, I think we can all mostly agree that there is a definitive difference between professional brewers and homebrewers. But I will also say that this doesn't imply a gap in experience, skill, and knowledge between a professional brewer and a homebrewer. But asking a professional brewmaster about making beer clear is sorta like asking Curtis T. McMullen to solve a quadratic equation, good question for an expert, also a good question for a high school senior, you might end up with the same answer either way. You can ask the professional brewer anything you want, I am sure they'd be happy to give you their input, but that doesn't guarantee their answer will be any better or more relevant to you then an answer you'd get from a member on this board(such as Biermuncher), or any other brewer.

That's why I'd ask questions that pertain more to professional or large scale brewing as opposed to brewing in general. Of course you could go on for days asking questions about fermentation times and temperatures, whole hops or hop pellets, water quality and make-up, etc.

As mentioned before, anything really interesting that you can't learn from the internet, books, experience, or by talking to other brewers is probably locked up tight by the big boys anyway.

Okay, how about this for a question, is there a technique or piece of equipment the big boys are using that the homebrewer isn't, but might be able to? Some sort of new DIY project.

This thread has already been jacked one time over this sort of issue, without provoking the previous "discussion" that has since been deleted, I think we can all mostly agree that there is a definitive difference between professional brewers and homebrewers. But I will also say that this doesn't imply a gap in experience, skill, and knowledge between a professional brewer and a homebrewer. But asking a professional brewmaster about making beer clear is sorta like asking Curtis T. McMullen to solve a quadratic equation, good question for an expert, also a good question for a high school senior, you might end up with the same answer either way. You can ask the professional brewer anything you want, I am sure they'd be happy to give you their input, but that doesn't guarantee their answer will be any better or more relevant to you then an answer you'd get from a member on this board(such as Biermuncher), or any other brewer.

That's why I'd ask questions that pertain more to professional or large scale brewing as opposed to brewing in general. Of course you could go on for days asking questions about fermentation times and temperatures, whole hops or hop pellets, water quality and make-up, etc.

As mentioned before, anything really interesting that you can't learn from the internet, books, experience, or by talking to other brewers is probably locked up tight by the big boys anyway.

Funny, I don't remember saying anything about professional brewer vs. amateur vs a guy that jerks off frogs (Beerfest hint, hint)... Nor do I care about discussing fermentation times, temps, etc, etc. I really have no interest in your previous heated discussion. I simply was asking Biermuncher what HE did to make HIS beers that clear. I didn't think anyone could get anything else out of my post. I have no desire to join your other debate and will certainly not respond further to it.

Yea, but I caught crap (and some childish name calling) from a bunch of probrewers on this board for saying I'd rather get advice from a homebrewer then a probrewer, on a thread about questions for a probrewer. Just didn't want the same to happen to anyone else.

Those pics look awesome, can't imagine needing beer to be any clearer then that.

Back on topic.

Another question I would have for a probrewer would be what conditions affect big brewing that most people wouldn't think of. We can all assume that larger breweries that brew the same beer year round and world round, as opposed to seasonal brews from regional breweries, deal with things such as crop availability, crop variations, weather, different water supplies, etc. But is there anything that might not be so obvious, but is still a major factor?

I'd also be interested if a larger company like AB uses the same equipment to brew their beer in each brewery(this information might not be that hard to come by, I am sure someone who has been on a few brewery tours might have a general answer). It's hard to imagine from a scheduling or maybe even a maintenance stand point that every beer, let's say Budweiser, is brewed using the same equipment.

Here's a question - How do they get the beer carbonated for packaging so quickly? Not sure how true it is, but my dad claims they used to go to the old Rolling Rock Brewery in Latrobe and get cases to go, that were still warm from the bottling line!

Here's a question - How do they get the beer carbonated for packaging so quickly? Not sure how true it is, but my dad claims they used to go to the old Rolling Rock Brewery in Latrobe and get cases to go, that were still warm from the bottling line!
As I understand it: In the case of Budweiser that's part of the 'Beechwood Aging' process. The not-quite-finished-fermenting beer is put into huge horizontal tanks with the pre-boiled Beechwood spirals which make a big lattice for yeast cells to land on (tons of surface area). The beer naturally carbonates in those tanks as it finishes.

Yea, but I caught crap (and some childish name calling) from a bunch of probrewers on this board for saying I'd rather get advice from a homebrewer then a probrewer, on a thread about questions for a probrewer. Just didn't want the same to happen to anyone else.

Ahhh... Ok, that explains it. By the time I saw Biermuncher's pictures, those posts had all been deleted, but I gathered it was a heated discussion.:mug:

Back