How much sugar to prime 4 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzoflick

Reaction score
My last batch came to 4.5 gallons and by the time I move it into my bottling bucket today it will be closer to 4.25. I am wondering how much I should cut back on the corn sugar to use when I prime and bottle today. Should 1 cup be okay? Any suggestions as always are appriciated

I think I have the same problem. I ran into a guy from work out in the field today and he has some decent experience brewing and he said that you can just add the remaining water before bottling. Is this true? It defiantly seems safer than guessing how much sugar and risking bottle bombs.

Depends on how many volumes of co2 you're shooting for. I saw this link in another thread and thought it was handy - http://***********/resources/carbonation

If you add water now, it will make your beer weaker. Don't do that.

One cup of corn sugar for 4.25 gallons is likely to over-carbonate the beer. How much sugar to use is dependent on how much carbonation you want. Read this:

Carbonation Priming Chart

Edit: Carter5112 beat me too it. The BYO carbonation chart is the way to go.

I like this one personally, no math required:
http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html

FYI, the carbonation per style recommendations are a little off (IMO).
It's still a great calculator, just plug-in the # of gallons, temperature and desired carbonation level. Output provided in Grams or Ounces of Corn Sugar, Sucrose, DME or Honey - you do weigh your bottling sugar before adding don't ya?

- M

p.s. Did anyone else notice the zombie revival? Must've been a full moon or something. ;)

I have about 2X10 litres to prime tomorrow and I think of using 1 cup do dextrose ; so 1/2 cup in each carboy before bottling . Hope it will turn out good .

Wow T29 I plugged my Caribou Slobber into that formula and came up with 2.3 oz for 4.5 gallons of beer. Considering the standard amount they give you is 5oz its no wonder some of the extract kits I made last year got over-carbonated!

Back