Left over grain, suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skacorica

Reaction score
So I bought a bunch of grain to do a whole ton of light BMCish beer for a neighbors party - well, they cancelled their party. I already used some of it to make 10 gallons of a nice light wheat beer, but I now have 8 lbs of wheat malt, 8 lbs of pils, 1 lb cara-pils blended together sitting in a bag in my garage and Im not sure what to make with it. I dont really wanna make another 50-50, as I already have 10 gallons of it. Im thinking of going to the LHBS and picking up some supplies.

I was going to do a tripel next....Maybe instead Ill do some sort of golden strong ale? Though Ive never tried that with wheat malt mixed in, not sure how it would taste, could be not-so-good. Any suggestions?

Belgian something or other seems to be in order. Target an OG wherever you want. Mash low and slow, hop gently with noble varieties, ferment with Belgian yeast of choice.

Me, I'd brew it to OG 1.050, bitter to no more than 25 IBU, finish with a nice smack of a noble hops variety, and ferment with Wyeast Ardennes. Bottle-condition to 3+ volumes. Let it age in the bottle for a few months. Could maybe be a nice spring quaffer!

Good luck,

Bob

I think the wheat would go well in a strong or farmhouse belgian of sorts also. Is the Pils and Wheat mixed thoroughly. If so, you could take half the bag, add 10 lbs more of pils and the wheat would constitute only 13-14% of the grist (14.5 lbs at that point).

I think the wheat would go well in a strong or farmhouse belgian of sorts also. Is the Pils and Wheat mixed thoroughly. If so, you could take half the bag, add 10 lbs more of pils and the wheat would constitute only 13-14% of the grist (14.5 lbs at that point).

Yeah, its actually already even ground. Its 100% mixed. I was thinking something in the order of a golden strong perhaps...

That could also provide a good grain bill for a Belgian Wit recipe. Use some Belgian Wit yeast, throw a touch of orange peel and coriander in at the end. That would make for a good spring beer as well.

Back