So I just had my 1st schlitz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodfatherX

Reaction score
natural light move over............I just found my new cheap working in the yard beer. Amazing I can actually taste some hops from a american macro!!

Anyone know what ABV it is?

DB Hobbs Golden Lager is my new favorite macro work in the yard/lawnmower beer

But schlitz is pretty good for that too

natural light move over............I just found my new cheap working in the yard beer. Amazing I can actually taste some hops from a american macro!!

Anyone know what ABV it is?

Was it in a bottle or can?
The can is the discontinued style, while the bottle is the return to the early 1960's version that still had some taste( it was the best selling beer in America at the time)

Schlitz is the best American Lager available. It has the most flavor for a beer that is less than $7 a twelver.

Yeah said they switched back to the old formula last year. Yet they came out with the bottles this year? I wonder how they did that? I am pissed that they claim that the bottles are the new stuff while the cans are the old stuff.

Its the can........taste good ( well in macro terms) to me

I've never seen the bottles in my area......I barely noticed the 12 packs of cans it was in the bottom of one of the glass door refrigerators on its side

meh I guess its the best I can get in Budweiser territory

Schlitz is the best American Lager available. It has the most flavor for a beer that is less than $7 a twelver.

Yeah said they switched back to the old formula last year. Yet they came out with the bottles this year? I wonder how they did that? I am pissed that they claim that the bottles are the new stuff while the cans are the old stuff.

They only switched in limited areas, and the bottles are $7 a sixer, so find some Genesee Cream Ale if you want cheap and flavorful.

Genesee Cream Ale, I had one of these the other day....the "LHBS" had a $0.99 beer basket sitting at the counter...mostly crappy asian lagers but they also had the Genesee. For the price I had to picked up a bottle and you know, it wasn't that bad...not the greatest beer but a good lawnmower I guess...

Never tried schlitz. I used to see it gas stations every now and then, but now i cant even think of the last time i saw it for sale.

Just bought a 12 pack for $6.39. Great for the price. It is the taste of the 1960's beer I remember. I couldn't believe how light colored and clear it was.

I was told the bottled version is coming to Wisconsin in a couple of weeks.

I hav elooked for Schlitz wherever I go. I know Archie Bunker drank it, and I've always wanted to try it. SO far have not seen it in my part of Michigan.

This was the beer of choice when I was learning how to drink, back around 1972 or so. 90 cents a qt. and $1.90 a sixer, If I recall. I'll have to give it try, and maybe conger up some memories of the "Goodle Days"

My dad used to drink schlitz when I was a kid. He wasn't much of a beer drinker but it was brewed locally then (Winston Salem, NC) and he believed in supporting local companies. He used to put salt into it. I used to sneak up behind his chair and steal a sip now and then. I loved it. I haven't had one in years.

Has anyone in the Chicago, Milwaukee or Minnesota market tried the Schlitz in a bottle (the 1960's formula) and not the cans (the current formula)? I can't get it here in Madison as of now. I'm curious if it's any good. I think it's an interesting idea returning to an old recipe if the old recipe made a good, easy drinking, yet flavorful beer.

I have and I have to say I was wrong. It doesn't taste the same. It is drier with a little more bitterness. I would not classify it as an American Lager any more probably a pre-prohibition pilsner. But I actually prefer the stuff in the cans. The bitterness just doesn't have anything to back it up. There is very little to no malt character.

Back