Newbie at this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HippeeSandee

Reaction score
I have been fermenting my cider for 3 weeks

5 gallons unpasturized cider
2 lbs light brown sugar
2 pkgs wine yeast Red Star blue package

in an Ale Pail with an airlock with vodka in it

Seems to gurgle abt 1 time an hour

I drew out abt 1 cup and it is still cloudy. Since I have to leave for work in an hour, I'll taste test it in the morning when I get home from work..

I was thinking of racking (I think that is the word for it) it in the carboy in 2 weeks (have more time) so I can watch it clarify.. I also have gallon jugs.. Haven't decided which to use

Do I do this thru the bottom spiket or do I take the top off and use a hose?

I'll have more questions as i go along...... :D

Well, I always use a secondary for all my wines and ciders. I don't always for beer, but always for other things. I guess we do things differently, but that goes to show that no one is "right" or "wrong" with winemaking.

Anyway, you should sipon quietly, (called racking), without splashing into a receiving carboy or jug. You shouldn't use the spigot, because you might get the lees (the stuff on the bottom) stirred up and mixed in. So, you sanitize your racking cane and tubing and siphon it that way. Make sure the tip of the tubing is on the bottom of the receiving vessel, so it doesn't splash around. Also, you should have a clip on the racking cane, to hold it for you against the side of the bucket. You set it so that the tip is way above the bottom, and gently lower it as the level of the cider goes down. This also keeps the lees from getting stirred up. When you get to the lees and no more clear cider, then you stop.

You also want to "top up" the carboy to minimize headspace. With cider, that's hard because you don't usually have any pre-made. (For wine, for example, I just top up with a similar wine). So, you can use sanitized marbles in the carboy to help reduce headspace. I usually start with 5.25 gallons in the bucket, so I can end up with my carboy topped up.

OK will rack next week, need a racking cane and hose with a clamp... I'm so happy that I finally found a home brewing place not too far of a drive and don't have to drive to Weschester Country and look for it...

It is ready to rack now, but I work the overnite shift 12 hours, so not much time to do much but sleep and if I am lucky have something to eat... but off Sat thru Tue (tuesday reserved to drive to PA and get my raw milk and range free eggs) and stop and get a couple of gallons of frozen unpasturized cider to add to the carboy

I taste tested it this morning and it is a tad on the dry side, but that is where my taste buds lie

Wish me luck

:rockin:

Back