Why? Fan in the Keezer? Temp Comntroller in the Keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPBISME

Reaction score
I have seen some great Keezers here and I am planning on building two (2) two keg Keezers so I have some questions...

PART ONE: Why? Fan in the Keezer

Yes, I know cold air settles, but in one of these 5 or 7 cubic feet freezers why all the concern about air flow?

My Points so you can help me understand:

I mean air moves around on its own with out any fan.

and

Even if it did not and the cold air is at the bottom... that is where the beer is being drawn from,,, so why not just make sure the bottom of the freezer is the correct temp or even maybe a degree or to lower ...

PART TWO: Temp Controller in the Keezer?

I would like everything self-contained and not have pieces all over the place... So I would like to put the Temp Controller on the inside of the Keezer-collar,,, (the wooden one I add)....

I have almost busted off the one on my current keezer a few time moving it because it is monuted on the outside... and the same for my fernemtation freezer... I have to move two things all the time and I would like to move one...

The only reason I can see not to do this is moisture?

There are no fans in my keezer with six kegs on the floor and the beer is always cold. I do have a little condensation which the fans supposedly reduce/eliminate.

I built the temp controllers into coffins so there is no issue when pushing the keezer around. If you are worried about moisture affecting the controller you could build a small box around it on the inside of the collar.

There are no fans in my keezer with six kegs on the floor and the beer is always cold. I do have a little condensation which the fans supposedly reduce/eliminate.

I built the temp controllers into coffins so there is no issue when pushing the keezer around. If you are worried about moisture affecting the controller you could build a small box around it on the inside of the collar.

AHhhhh,,,, "condensation" something I had not considered... and something that "I got in Spades" in my current 6 Keg keezer but I think it is mostly because of the fact I am lazy and don't like cleaning the "lines"... so when there is no great need to have all the taps running I use "Cobra-Heads" and open it up to get to the beer.

Thanks,

DPB

The wooden collar does not have cooling cools running through it like the walls of the freezer, so it can be up to 2 degrees warmer. Since this is where your tap and lines run, the temperature differential can cause condensation issues. The fan just helps equalize temperature through out.

I have a Johnson external temperature controller that is just mounted on the backside of the collar. I drilled a small hole and ran the probe inside. I filled the caps in the hole with plumbers putty.

My keezer is 8 cu ft. and yes, the fan DID make a difference. I just bought a tiny AC powered fan at Radio Shack and wired it directly to a plug and plugged it into the same outlet the keezer is plugged into.

You want to keep the tap and beer lines close to the same temp as the kegged beer. If cold beer is suddenly warmed by beer lines, tap faucet, warm glass, etc it creates foam. Thats why the first 1/4 pint that is poured foams more than the rest. I usually pour a 1/4 pint, set it aside and fill my wife's glass (who likes less head, joke away!). Then come back and fill the rest of my pint glass.

I don't have fans, but put the beer line inside 1/2" copper pipes. The cooler air from the fridge is conducted along the pipe, keeping the beer line and tap cooler. No fan necessary. This is on a kegerator though, so not sure its applicable for your question.

I have my ebay temp controller built into the wooden collar on my 14.8 cuft keezer with no issues.

Helps with my condensation to some point and if it's outside in colder climate you may need to run a heat source which in my experience a fan will be needed to move the air around or it doesn't maintain temps very well. Unless you're using a heater with a fan in it already.

How many kegs you fitting in an 8 cu ft?

I did some sizing recently by taking to Corney Kegs to Home Depot.

1. 5 CF 2 Kegs
  2. 7 CF 3 Kegs

I have a Keezer in the house that holds 6 (with a 20 lb CO2 tank) but I will have to go look up it's size.

I also have a chest freezer in my camp site (with the compressor cut out) that I use as a Ice Chest and it holds 4 (no---update--- it holds 5) I think it is a 8.8 CF

How many kegs you fitting in an 8 cu ft?

I have 3 in there now with a 20 lb CO2 tank. I could possibly fit one on the hump (Haven't tried). or definitely a 3 gallon on the hump.

If you take the CO2 out then definitely 4+ inside!

You can always put your probe in a jar filled with water. This will give you a reading that more closely matches the temperature of the beer.

are all probes waterproof? or ranco probes anyway... I have a single and a two stage (keezer and fermenter). I didn't think the probes were waterproof but not really sure.

I have some major condensation issues in my 14 cf setup, so I'm planning to add a fan to my desiccant setup (one of those Eva-dry units). It's amazing how poorly a dehumidifier works without airflow!

are all probes waterproof? or ranco probes anyway... I have a single and a two stage (keezer and fermenter). I didn't think the probes were waterproof but not really sure.

You have to assume that they are not unless you can find specific information stating that they are.

I have my Ranco probe inside the finger of a surgical glove taped shut with electrical tape and a couple of clothes pins to hold it in place in the jar of water.

NOPE
ruined a probe assuming it was.

Easy fix - slide the probe into some hobby-store brass tubing, plugging both ends with epoxy.

I have a 7CF I bought from HD fits 4 very tight on the bottom and 5 with a collar as I can use the shelf.

I have a 7CF I bought from HD fits 4 very tight on the bottom and 5 with a collar as I can use the shelf.

I went to research these and they were 178,,, when I went to buy one they were 225 (plus)...

I was wondering how dod you monut your collar?

My plan is to put a coller, with a table top on it so it look like a "Bar" but I have been concered with how to mount the coller.

DPB

I went to research these and they were 178,,, when I went to buy one they were 225 (plus)...

I was wondering how dod you monut your collar?

My plan is to put a coller, with a table top on it so it look like a "Bar" but I have been concered with how to mount the coller.

DPB
I mounted my collar to the lid with liquid nails after reading how others have done it. I too am making it a bar top. I will probably put some wood on the bottom of the lid then the top with bolts. After that I may attach brackets to the collar for extra strength. It seems very solid now, but I like a little extra insurance.

I mounted my collar to the lid with liquid nails after reading how others have done it. I too am making it a bar top. I will probably put some wood on the bottom of the lid then the top with bolts. After that I may attach brackets to the collar for extra strength. It seems very solid now, but I like a little extra insurance.

I since I looked at both the 5 and 7 CF Freezers there I was a bit concerned since most of the ones I have seen had a plastic rim....

I had another idea that I am also going to try.

I saw that they sell replacement hinges for the freezers and I may get a couple more to add to the back because of the additional weight of the table top.

OR:

Go to the dump with my electric screwdriver and grab a couple...

I since I looked at both the 5 and 7 CF Freezers there I was a bit concerned since most of the ones I have seen had a plastic rim....

I had another idea that I am also going to try.

I saw that they sell replacement hinges for the freezers and I may get a couple more to add to the back because of the additional weight of the table top.

OR:

Go to the dump with my electric screwdriver and grab a couple...

You can do this, but be very careful when drilling for the mounts for extra hinges. If you strike a coolant line, you're screwed.

You can do this, but be very careful when drilling for the mounts for extra hinges. If you strike a coolant line, you're screwed.

The plan is to:

1. Take off the lid
  2. Put on a collar
  3. Attach the lid to the collar with the hinges
  4. Put the table top on the Lid.

So the hinges will be no where near the freezer...

DPB

The plan is to:

1. Take off the lid
  2. Put on a collar
  3. Attach the lid to the collar with the hinges
  4. Put the table top on the Lid.

So the hinges will be no where near the freezer...

DPB

Ah, my bad. I did a non-coffin setup where I attached the freezer top to the top of the collar, and the collar+top to the freezer via hinges.

I see what you did now.

I have a double outlet connected to my controller, the keezer is on one outlet, the fan on the other. when the keezer turns on, so does the fan.

So what kind of fan do you use? I have a 5 cu ft keezer and I'm getting quite a bit of condensation. I'm hoping maybe a fan will help.

Back