I'm looking for a good SMaSH recipe with light LME and cascade hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbrew

Reaction score
I want to build a super lazy go to beer that I could just dump into the fermenter at the last minute whenever I have the urge. It doesn't have to be perfected through boiling or starters or whatever, just decent to drink and as cheap as it can be while using extracts. I am thinking of this:

7 or 8 lbs LME (light or amber. Has to be purchased in whole lb weight)

cascade:
3/4 oz 60
3/4 oz 30
1/2 oz 0
1/2 oz dh

11 oz US05

5 gal RO
10 g water additive concoction (~pale ale)

~1.050
~ 5%
65-70 degrees for 10 days.
kegged

Any recommendations on tweeking this?

edit: duhh:drunk:I realized it won't work without boiling, so assume 60 minute boil.

so you're looking for a smash recipe using LME and cascades...and you're still looking for it? :confused:

:D

I guess I'm looking for confidence in the hop schedule.

I am not a fan of 30 min hops, I would move them > 20.
3/4 oz 60
3/4 oz 15
1/2 oz 0
1/2 oz dh
Something like that, maybe push. 25oz from 15 to 60 to increase bitterness

I think the hop schedule looks ok, though I'd probably go something like:
1oz @ 60, .5 oz at 10 or 5 minutes and .5oz at flameout.

I am not a fan of 30 min hops, I would move them > 20.
3/4 oz 60
3/4 oz 15
1/2 oz 0
1/2 oz dh
Something like that, maybe push. 25oz from 15 to 60 to increase bitterness

So...

1 oz 60
1/2 oz 15
1/2 oz 0
1/2 oz dh

That's close to haus pale ale (+dh).

I think the hop schedule looks ok, though I'd probably go something like:
1oz @ 60, .5 oz at 10 or 5 minutes and .5oz at flameout.

That seems pretty similar too. I think I may try it out.

So how about this?

8 lbs Morebeer light LME

cascade:
1 oz 60
1/2 oz 15
1/2 oz 0
1/2 oz dh

11 oz US05

5 gal RO

~ 1.058
~ 5.6%
~ 20 IBU
5 gal kegged

So...

1 oz 60
1/2 oz 15
1/2 oz 0
1/2 oz dh

That's close to haus pale ale (+dh).

That seems pretty similar too. I think I may try it out.

So how about this?

8 lbs Morebeer light LME

cascade:
1 oz 60
1/2 oz 15
1/2 oz 0
1/2 oz dh

11 oz US05

5 gal RO

~ 1.058
~ 5.6%
~ 20 IBU
5 gal kegged

20 IBU for what's essentially a pale ale is a bit too much on the sweet side for my taste, especially if you're going for 1.058 OG - i'd either bring the OG down (less LME) or use more hops...again, just my own preference

I followed you up to this point. Is 10 g water additive concoction ten gallons of water or 10 grams of a water additive?

I bulked up this 5 gallon amount: 2g gypsum, 2g cal chl, 3.5g baking soda, 2g epsom. I threw it together on one of the calculators for a rough pale ale.:fro:

20 IBU for what's essentially a pale ale is a bit too much on the sweet side for my taste, especially if you're going for 1.058 OG - i'd either bring the OG down (less LME) or use more hops...again, just my own preference

That's what I'm talking about here.:mug: How does 7 lbs light lme and 1.050/ 4.8% (according to hopville) sound?

that looks good! and by using less LME it'll naturally bring the IBU count up a bit too...let us know how it turns out

I'm going to table making this for at least a month while I brew the 3 batches I purchased already. I have the stuff to brew haus pale ale, so I'll analyze the single hop scheduling on that one to see how this one ends up. Then I'll make a how-to thread on easy and quick beer that doesn't come from a mystery can.

Technically it would not be a SMaSH, but it fits into the idea of what a SMaSH is and tries to accomplish.

Of course it is SMaSH if the LME is 100% 2 row. Why not? One malt/ one hop. Simple as that.

I did a nice "Lite" ale that I plan on making again for summer

3.3# Golden light/Pale LME
2.5oz Cascade Whole hops (one bag from co-worker)
0.5oz cascade pellets (use up what I had left from another recipe)

1.0oz = 60
1.0oz = 15
0.5oz = 5
0.5oz = DH (after 10 days)

S-05 yeast

The whole hops really made this beer have super hop aroma, this was a 2.4 gallon batch

Sweet, I'm doing a double-brew day this weekend and I decided I wanted to try an extract brew for once (I started at AG and never looked back, until now). I'm looking for a sub-6% SMaSH, and I am partial to Cascades at the moment. I'm not sure what the make-up of my LHBS DME is, but I guess I don't actually care if it's a true single malt. :) I'm really doing this for both the simplicity and to get a good feel for what Cascades really tastes like to me.

Planning to do a half-addition or so of DME for the full boil, as I've heard it will up my hop utilization, and putting some Notty on it. It'll be the little brother brew to my DIPA that I'll go whole-hog on for the rest of the brew day.

UPDATE : Ha! Never mind about the DME. $ 4.50 per pound = I'm mashing it myself. :)

Back