hand pump beer line/keg cleaner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebben

Reaction score
I swear I saw one of these in a writeup here in the last year, but I can't find it via search. I've spent the last half hour at work doing it. Not enough time on HBT, this is true, but I think I've done enough.

Anyway, the write-up I'm thinking about is one of those hand-pump garden sprayers from Home Depot or something that is normally used to spray herbicide or other chemicals. I thought that someone hooked up a quick connect onto one and had a cheap solution to push cleaner or sanitizer through kegs and lines without wasting CO2.

Can anyone point me to this, or show me theirs?

Why would you buy one when you already own one?

A cobra tap should fit perfectly over the end of your autosiphon (just like it fits over a broken piece of racking cane in BierMuncher's beer gun). That's how I clean lines.

I did this, all you need is a compression fitting with a flare end on one size. I just took my ball vavle connector to Home depot and fond the right one. I than cut the cord on the sprayer, wrapped like a whoe roll of teflon around the sprayer cord, this gave the compression something to bind to. Be careful when pulling off the beer line connection, I pulled my fitting off, cleaner was spraying EVERYWHERE. SYMBO, not happy.

found this, looks like a safer solution than mine
http://www.thegatesofdawn.ca/wordpress/homebrewing/beer_line_cleaner/

Oh didn't see that. Really you waste more CO2 purging kegs I bet. I wouldn't worry about it I am sure it doesn't use much.

Personally, I find it much more convenient to fill a 1 gallon container with hot cleaner, than to deal with a 5 gallon keg.

haze

Has anyone seen or done it with a hand-pump sprayer type device?

I'm asking about using a pump so I don't use CO2 to push cleaning/sanitizing solutions, plain and simple. I use CO2 to purge kegs because it doesn't oxidize beer- there isn't really an alternative there.

As I said it wouldn't use much CO2 unless it's hard to get CO2 where you are at or expensive. It's $14 to fill my 7lb tank ant it lasts a loooong time. Buying/creating some special device to clean my lines/faucets seems silly. You put oxyclean or some such in your keg to clean it, water to rinse it and sanitizer so instead of dumping it right away hook it up to your lines every step and clean, rinse, and sanitize them.

Has anyone seen or done it with a hand-pump sprayer type device?

I'm asking about using a pump so I don't use CO2 to push cleaning/sanitizing solutions, plain and simple. I use CO2 to purge kegs because it doesn't oxidize beer- there isn't really an alternative there.

Back