Will I get bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redalert

Reaction score
Hey guys,

2 Sundays ago I brewed my first true all-grain beer with a 48qt cooler with manifold that I recently put together. It was supposed to be the Titabawasee Brown Ale from John Palmer's How to Brew. Needless to say I screwed up my calculations and overhit my target FG by .0020 points!! (didn't sparge with enough water and didn't account for the 90 min boil off). The pre pitching gravity reading was 1.070. I pitched wlp039 Nottingham at 66F and didn't see signs for fermentation for 48 hours. I panicked and threw some s-04 dry yeast and fermentation took off in a hurry and dropped clear in like 3 days. 2 weeks later there was absolutely no signs of fermentation and the yeast flocculated so well even a tilt of the carboy couldn't kick up the yeast. So I decided to bottle this past Sunday but mistakingly didn't do a hydrometer reading till after I bottled which btw was at 1.024. Even for a 1.070 ale, 1.024 still seems a bit high (note: I mashed at 154F). I primed with table sugar at 2.5 volumes. Now do you think I should worry about bottle bombs if keep the beer in the bottles for extended periods on account of the FG being so high and assuming there's no wild yeast? The beer will be stored at 70F. Thanks. :confused:

Using this Calculator, it looks like your apparent attenuation was about 66%. I couldn't find any specific numbers on S-04, but it looks like that might be a reasonable attenuation with a mashing temperature at 154F.

I would pop one open at 1 week intervals to make sure they're not over-carbonating but my guess is that you're OK.

Back