Will my beer ever start fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

areinhard

Reaction score
I tried something new. This is only my thrid brew. My others seemed really weak so i brewed a california common recipe from my Lhbs.

1 lb crystal
6.5 lb lme
1.5 oz cenn.
1 oz. cenn. aroma

Pretty simple but instead of the full 5 gal I only did about 3 gal thinking that it would be really strong. Also I tried to grow some pacman yeast from a bottle of Rogue Shakespaere Stout. The yeast starter seemed to do well & had lots of yeast on the bottom, at least i thought it was yeast maybe just the dme sediment. I used 16 oz water, 1/4 cup dme, boiled 10 min then cooled to about 70 degrees and set on a stir plate for 36 hours. It looked good, smelled good and had about 1/4 inch of 'yeast' along the whole bottom. I pitched into wort (og 1.086) on Monday. Its Thursday and no activity.

Maybe not enough yeast?
Maybe wort too high gravity?
Maybe just too impatient?

What should I do?

Any advice will be greatly apreciated!

fermentation can take up to 72 hours to kick in and your on your way to that if not there tonight. might want to get some dry yeast from your LHBS and pictch it if no activity after 72hours then you'll be fine

before you pitch anymore yeast take another reading. If it's lower that your starting gravity the yeast is working. If it's still 1.086 you may have a problem and may want to repitch

Back