Skeeterpee - FG level to drink it at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haeffnkr

Reaction score
Hi,

I tried to search a bit but can not find this answer...

Getting ready to kick off my first batch of skeeterpee.

My question is what is the final gravity of skeeterpee after it has been back sweetened?
What FG do people like to drink it at?

I want to crash my batch at that level.

thanks Kevin

Just taste it every now and then off that's what you want to do. I'd start at about 1.020 and go in 0.005 increments

The recipe calls for six cups sugar/five gallon batch, and one cup sugar raises SG of one gallon by 0.020; 0.024 points if you go by the recipe. Just remember if you try to stop the ferment your alcohol content will be off. Plus you have to consider the FG can range 0.996-1.00_.

Like saramc advised, don't stop the ferment until the SP is all the way done. You'll want to get as much ABV as you can from your batch. As far as what FG to back-sweeten to, that is a matter of individual taste. I've made a few batches and am at about 1.024 on FG after back-sweetening.

If I use Tastybrew.com and make a recipe of 5 gallons and add 2 1/3 pounds (the amount listed in the recipe to back sweeten with..) I get a SG of 1.016.

My ABV calculator says that my starting SG of 1.062 and ending at 1.016 = 6.1%
that is fine with me as far as ABV level.

I stopped my apple cider at 1.012 ... it was bit sweet after it was carbed up.

I am guessing around 1.010 - 1.014 would be where I would like it for this lemon drink.

thanks Kevin

I stopped my apple cider at 1.012 ... it was bit sweet after it was carbed

So how are y'all stopping fermentation? I know i bought some campden, and some sparkalloid, as per the instructions, but have read that they will not stop fermentation.

My skeeter pee has been REALLY sluggish going from 1.020 to 1.010 over like 2 weeks. Instead of letting it go all the way and getting more alcohol, then backsweetening to 1.010, I'd just prefer to stop fermentation and kill off the yeast now.

So how are y'all stopping fermentation? I know i bought some campden, and some sparkalloid, as per the instructions, but have read that they will not stop fermentation.

My skeeter pee has been REALLY sluggish going from 1.020 to 1.010 over like 2 weeks. Instead of letting it go all the way and getting more alcohol, then backsweetening to 1.010, I'd just prefer to stop fermentation and kill off the yeast now.

The only way to truly do this is pasteurization, otherwise you cold crash, rack, kmeta, sorbate, sterile filter and pray.

Hi,
I read through a lot of this giant thread...this is good summary of the process though.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/index3.html#post931856

The thought is that the natural sugar is just so much better than anything you can add back into it and the folks in the thread above stated they could tastes the sorbate stuff used also.

So I made some cider using some Costco Apple juice and used s-04 and crashed it at 1.012 (next time a bit lower..) then racked to a keg and carbed. The cider was very good and so easy to make.

I used that S-04 cake to start my skeeterpee.
It was bubbling in 6 hours :)

So I plan to crash the primary when it is at the sweetness/FG I like then rack and Keg.

thanks Kevin

Hi,
I read through a lot of this giant thread...this is good summary of the process though.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/index3.html#post931856

The thought is that the natural sugar is just so much better than anything you can add back into it and the folks in the thread above stated they could tastes the sorbate stuff used also.

So I made some cider using some Costco Apple juice and used s-04 and crashed it at 1.012 (next time a bit lower..) then racked to a keg and carbed. The cider was very good and so easy to make.

So I plan to crash the primary when it is at the sweetness/FG I like then rack and Keg.

thanks Kevin

Only difference is that the sugar in skeeter pee is the sugar you back sweeten with.

Hi,

thanks Kevin

Cool, thanks!

I Guess i'm just worried that if i keg and cold crash, that fermentation would continue, and blow my keg or lines or something.
(I'm a kegging newb). But i guess it slows the fermentation to the point that the pressure doesn't build up in the keg enough to backflow anything into the co2 lines or pop anything?

I haven't run the numbers but even if it warmed up to room temperature and the yeast fermented it as much as possible it would build enough pressure to damage anything. Skeeter pee is a harsh environment for yeast, so if you cold crash I don't think you'd have much trouble with them.

Back