Yay, no activity in fermenter after 36 hours!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
I've brewed nearly 20 beers since starting in June. Sunday I brewed a Surly Furious Clone and pitched with a vial of WLP007.

5 gallon carboy, OG was spot on at 1.068. Attached blow off tube as usual and put it in a room at exactly 67 degrees F and a fluctuation of 60-70 degrees every 24 hours. Aerated the wort BUT for the first time ever, I didn't do a starter with this yeast. Expiration date was good (had 3 months before expiring)

Usually, my WLP vials I start seeing action within 12 hours and I'm still seeing nothing. (no bubbles in my starsan blow off bucket or any sort of indication of a krausen)

I've been reading up on and doing this for quite a while now so, my plan is going to wait another 24 hours and, if nothing happens, I'm just going to pitch a starter of US-05 which I keep a few bags of in the fridge.

Just thought I'd post here to see if I've missed anything at all before I do the backup plan.

One perhaps problem area is that I did pitch the yeast at a very high temperature for the wort. I started the brew day late into the day so pitched the yeast when the water was about 95 Degrees F. That's the only issue I can think of that's directly my fault but I've pitched 05 before at 100 and haven't had issues but that is a heartier yeast.

Thoughts?

Three things I would recommend changing:

1.) Make a starter with liquid yeast whenever possible. It'd recommend it for OGs higher than about 1.042 and highly recommend it for OGs higher than 1.055, assuming the vial is fresh.

2.) Don't make starters with dry yeasts. Rehydrate them in pre-boiled water chilled to about 90-95 degrees instead.

3.) Always pitch at or slightly below the fermentation temperature (contrary to the instructions on the vial). Pitching warm can result in off-flavors and stuck fermentations if the temperature drops later in the ferment. As long as you are sanitary, it is ok to chill the wort down overnight and pitch the next morning.

i would aerate again and toss some nutrients if you have them. if it starts bubbling, nevermind.

Good tips. I always use a starter. This is the first time I didn't and yeah, the temp was a little high which is a bummer. I aerated it this morning and will go to the LHBS and grab some yeast nutrient. Will check back in tomorrow morning and pitch US-05 if I still nothing.

Back