What's in your fermenter(s)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonna make me an IPA today to put in vessel #2. I am tired of being cooped up inside from this midwest arctic/snow blast. I gotta do a partial though and use my stove top like old times. Should be fun though and break up the monotony!

I hear ya!! I couldn't stand it anymore yesterday. I had to do an ag 2.5 batch on the stove.. and it went great.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I got a good old American Barley Wine that's been in my fermenter for a week and a half still bubbling. I love that WLP099

I have a Pale Ale that came in kind of low with an OG of 1.084. And IBU of 31. Was wondering if I should rack it with a cup I corn syrup and dry hop with an ounce of Cascade (2.5 gallon yield), opinions?

I have a Pale Ale that came in kind of low with an OG of 1.084. And IBU of 31. Was wondering if I should rack it with a cup I corn syrup and dry hop with an ounce of Cascade (2.5 gallon yield), opinions?

1.084 is coming in low on a pale ale? Some people do add fermentable sugars during primary, so that might be your best bet if you want to kick up the ABV even more (though you're already in 8-10% range), but go easy if you don't want to end up with a Steel Reserve clone.

Bottle conditioning a porter that looks great.
I'm my fermenter is a pale ale, close to an IPA. Which brings me to my question, I used vienna malt and just a tiny bit of MO I had left over. Tettanger and cascade hops. I've only brewed some LME batches and the last 4 have been BIAB mostly consisting of MO. This batch (3 gals) has been in the fermenter for about 9 days. I DRY hopped .50 oz of Tet on day 7, and it all looks well and great, but the smell was kind of "poopy," for lack of.a better term. Is it just the difference in vienna as my main malt? Since I'm so used to MO?

1.084 is coming in low on a pale ale? Some people do add fermentable sugars during primary, so that might be your best bet if you want to kick up the ABV even more (though you're already in 8-10% range), but go easy if you don't want to end up with a Steel Reserve clone.

Sorry, fat fingers! The OG was actually 1.043.

Just transferred mr irish red to secondary last night ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389462698.145036.jpg

Alas I am full up. 4 buckets and 7 carboys all full. And I'm brewing again tomorrow. Yikes!

Sounds like you need to get some beer transferred to serving containers. I'm in the same boat. Brewing tomorrow and need both the carboy and the yeast from a cream ale.

Most of what I've got going is the same as last time I posted in this thread, but I've got 17 carboys full.
3 batches of lamebic, 2 ECY + dregs & 1 dregs only
3 WLP665 reds with assorted dregs
2 ECY02 browns
ECY02 Quad with figs
Biere de Noel with lacto, ECY04 brett a, and SNR10 dregs
ECY02 Black sour with blueberries
BKY C2 with assorted dregs
Dark strong with C2 brett and lacto
Pomelo white IPA with ECY04
'Belgian' Pale with ECY03B
3726 & ECY03B saison with scuppernongs
WLP072 Cream Ale

I think that's all. :cross:

Nothing.... I've kicked two kegs over the last week, have one almost ready to kick, have another that is probably around 3/4 full, and Northern Brewer is taking it's sweet time shipping my grain. I had planned on brewing this weekend and next. When I had to prompt them about my 1st order, I decided to go ahead and place another so that I'd have 4 kits by next weekend. The 1st has finally shipped, the 2nd ... well, I had to prompt them again.

The guy said they're busy after the holidays, etc... etc... Oh well... Maybe I'll brew next weekend and the following weekend. But I'll have to buy beer in the meantime... and I hate having to buy beer.

Nothing.... I've kicked two kegs over the last week, have one almost ready to kick, have another that is probably around 3/4 full, and Northern Brewer is taking it's sweet time shipping my grain. I had planned on brewing this weekend and next. When I had to prompt them about my 1st order, I decided to go ahead and place another so that I'd have 4 kits by next weekend. The 1st has finally shipped, the 2nd ... well, I had to prompt them again.

The guy said they're busy after the holidays, etc... etc... Oh well... Maybe I'll brew next weekend and the following weekend. But I'll have to buy beer in the meantime... and I hate having to buy beer.

My kits took about 7 or 8 days to ship but I now have a brown ale and a pale ale in the fermenter so all is well. One of these fermenter are my new Big Mouth Bubbler which is one sexy piece of brew gear. :)

Sent from my KFSOWI using Home Brew mobile app

I got the recipe off the web. Don't remember where, though. I upped the barley from 6 to 8 pounds.

'Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter' Original recipe from Harvey's of Lewes

6lb Crushed Maris Otter Pale Malt Barley (or other pale malt barley)
8oz Flaked Maize
8oz Light Brown Sugar
2oz Goldings Hops
1oz Northern Brewers hops
1tsp Irish Moss
2oz Light British Ale Yeast

Bring water to 140*F and add crushed malt and flakes
Raise to 151*F & mash for 1.5 hours
Sparge grains
dissolve sugar in a little hot water
Boil wort and add hops & sugar and boil for 1.5 hours.
Pitch irish moss as per instructions
Ferment 4-5 days until SG reaches 1010 and rack to secondary.
Dissolve gelatin finings into hot water and add to secondary whilst racking - Do not boil the gelatin for gods sake!
Leave for 7 days
Rack beer off sediment into keg or bottles and carbonate (use dissolved brown sugar for bottle carbonation)
Leave in keg or bottles for 7 days to condition before sampling.

What I do have is:
5 gallons porter
5 gallons of RIS
3 gallons of apfelwine
5 gallons of oatmeal stout
5 gallons of Hoppy Amber
5 gallons amber
5 gallons apfelwine
10 gallons IPA
10 gallons of Blonde

All that and 5 full kegs.

New update:
3 gallons Kolsch (cold lager)
3 gallons Funk Kolsch (letting brett do its work over the next few months, threw in some maltodextrin over the weekend)
5 gallons Saison (secondary, being dry hopped)
5 gallons IPA (secondary, being dry hopped)
5 gallons APA (primary, started yesterday using the yeast cake from the IPA)

Kolsch, saison and IPA will get bottled on Friday, so I will be making a rye saison on Saturday (washed the yeast cake from the first saison, need to split the jars because I actually have too much in each jar). Half the first saison will be put into the 3 gallon carboy and inoculated with brett L. This means I will still have 1 empty carboy (depending on schedule, may decide to make a helles).

Just transferred a red (and somewhat rye) IPA to bottles. Yesterday brewed up 5gal of a Mosaic hopped Double IPA.

Haven't decided what's next...

Brewed up a cream porter last night. Planned on using about 6 oz lactose, but only had 4.5 on hand. I'll taste and decide when it comes time to keg if 1.5oz will make a difference.

What I do have is:
5 gallons porter
5 gallons of RIS
3 gallons of apfelwine
5 gallons of oatmeal stout
5 gallons of Hoppy Amber
5 gallons amber
5 gallons apfelwine
10 gallons IPA
10 gallons of Blonde

All that and 5 full kegs.

Wow, you have definitely been busy Melana. What a way to start 2014!

Back