Clearing cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insomniac

Reaction score
Hi all, does cider/pure juice that was really cloudy to start with ever truly clear? How long does it take? I have a cyser that I made a month or so ago that still looks exactly like it did at the shop, all the heavy stuff has already fallen out along with the yeast which I have already racked off from. Will the rest eventually fall out too? I assume it will but I don't want to sit around waiting for something that will never happen!

Some of mine have, some of mine haven't. I don't know why some have, have you tried adding clearing agents? My meads take a lot longer in general to clear than wines/ciders.

I've not added clearing agents too it yet, figured I'd at least give it another month on it's own before going that route. Cheers for the input!

I've never had any reason to use fining agents as everything I've made has cleared just fine all on its own; even the locally pressed brown, cloudy "cider" (juice). All it takes is time. Regards, GF.

Did you start with clear juice or cloudy juice? Any rice sweeteners (e.g. syrup, solids)?

I started with Copella apple juice which is really cloudy to start and has no additives other than vitamin c.

Gotcha. The juice's particles tend to clear slower than yeast (depending on the strain of yeast). DE filtering and centrifuging (visit your local Gravitron?) will clear cloudy juice, but sterile filtering (0.5 micron) won't.

Back