Can I add whiskey to my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregger

Reaction score
Preparing to do a stout soon. I plan to add oak chips (pretty clear on that process), but what about adding whiskey. I really want to do that to.

Will the whiskey that I add affect the elements within the beer, especially the yeast? I'll need that for carbonation, should I expect the beer to be less carbed when ready to drink?

This is one beer I am REALLY looking forward to this summer.

you can definitely add some whiskey, and it won't affect the yeast. the best way to go about it is to take all the oak chips you're adding and place them in some kind of container. pour whiskey over the oak chips so that all the oak is covered. let that sit for a few days and then add it all in at the same time.

you can definitely add some whiskey, and it won't affect the yeast. the best way to go about it is to take all the oak chips you're adding and place them in some kind of container. pour whiskey over the oak chips so that all the oak is covered. let that sit for a few days and then add it all in at the same time.

Perfect, I needed a little re-assurement on what I was thinking and you gave just the answer I was looking for. Youda man! :mug:

Ha glad i could help.

out of curiosity what recipe are you using?

A question that I have not answered, still searching. Rarely do I stick to a recipe, but I do start with a base recipe and add my own ingredients if I want. Any recommendations?

I did an extract stout that looked like this, didn't put whiskey or oak in it though
6 lbs gold lme
3 lbs dark lme
8oz chocolate
4oz roasted barley
4 oz black malt
8 oz crystal 80L
1 oz fuggle at 60
1 oz fuggle at 20

Back