Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marnel

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused and it doesn't seem to be specified as a guideline in the book, so I was wondering if anybody with this book could shed some light on my question.

Page 71 has a recipe for a Marzen and is listed for a Partial Mash with an All-Grain option. In the partial mash there is a caramunich specialty malt and i'm wondering if you choose the all grain option would you still use the caramunich malt as well. In other clone and recipe books i've followed it'll usually specify to replace extracts with "these" malts while still using the specialty malts listed in the recipe. It's not very clear and my gut is saying no.

Thoughts?

yes, you use all specialty malts and replace your dme/lme with the listed amount of base malt.

Yep just replace the base malts (Pilsner, 2-Row, 6-Row, Wheat, etc.). The adjuncts are still required for any recipe, just the base malt is extract in an extract recipe.

Excellect! that was my initial expectation but when i threw it together in beer tools pro the numbers were no where near what his recipe was showing. I however forgot his were formulated with an assumed 70% efficiency so after scaling it for my efficiency everything lined back up.

Thanks all for the sanity check!

Back