Thoughts on temp control during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was thinking how to better manage temps during fermentation and I have read about swamp coolers here, but surrounding my bucket with wet towels and a fan worries me that mold and musty stuff can develop. As I was cooling my Wort an Idea came to mind. If I get a Wort chiller drill two holes in my lid one for the inlet and the other for the outlet I could use that inside my fermentor to control the temps. I would use a 20 gallon aquaruim and pump to continously cycle the water. I can use a aquarium heater to maintain a constant temp during the process. Of course I would have to make sure everything was sealed tight and sanatized. Did I have a spot of genius or am I over thinking the whole problem?

Not a terriable idea. Couple thoughts though.

1. Copper in fermenting wort? No experience with this, don't know if it would be a problem.

2. It may take some major tweaking to be able to get it to the temp you wanted. Trial and error.

I don't have to use the wet tshirt and the fan blowing on it, unless the ambient temp is really warm. Once you get a large enough amount of water in the swamp cooler to create a heatsink, the temp holds pretty good. It would take a longer time at a much higher ambient temp to raise the volume of water too high.

Latest posts

Back