fat tire clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racking to the secondary tomorrow! Going to start an oatmeal stout on the yeast cake as well. I should have a preliminary taste tomorrow and a much better idea for you in a few weeks. All of the reviews of this clone on AHS were very positive.

Brewpilot

I made the AHS Fat Tire Clone twice- it was very good. I'm not a huge Fat Tire fan, but my husband is and thought it was even better than the original.

Lorena

Jester said:
I was about to try that kit... or the recipe thats in the BYO clone book.. not sure yet...

Im between the fat tire clone and an oatmeal stout for my second brew. I have just bottled my brown ale.

Doog_Si_Reeb said:
I'm going to crack my first bottle of the AHS Fat Tire clone tonight while I move my stout to the secondary. I've been looking forward to it all day...

Lets hear the verdict!

Good Luck!:mug:

I've finished about half my batch of the Fat Tire clone from highgravitybrew.com, it's very good!

Because I'm impatient, my first one was under-carbonated. But that's what I get for only waiting a week in the bottle, right? It tasted very good. Nice and smooth, just not very bubbly. I will try my second one next week. I generally go by the 123 rule, but I can't help trying one after the first week and one more after the second week... :D

Let me know how it turns out, that is what I am planning next. I was going to use the Clone Brews recipe, but I'm always open to suggestions.

Can somebody tell me what "Fat Tire" tastes like? I keep hearing this beer mentioned, but can't get it in my area. Is there a Micro you can relate the taste to?

Well, it tastes like Fat Tire. My husband says it's a malty beer with mild hops flavor, but with an unusual aftertaste. He likes it as a lawnmower beer and for a sessions beer. He really enjoys it because he "likes a malty beer with alot of flavor, without a hop bite." He says if you go to beeradvocate.com, they describe it in great detail. He is a fan, and those are direct quotes from him.

My feeling is that it doesn't taste like anything at all. Kind of bland and flavorless, but easy drinking. Not hoppy, true, but not a whole lot else going on either.

It really doesn't taste like any other commercial beer I can think of. If you can do a beer swap with someone, then you could get some. Or, go ahead and make a clone (I've made the same one, twice!) and try it. It's not bad or anything...it's just not as good as some other beers. But I like hoppy and dark and rich. I like pale ales, IPAs, Octoberfests, etc. My husband likes malty beers, and thinks Fat Tire is fine.

Lorena

IMHO fat tire is one of those beers that is very dependent upon being served at the right temperature...too cold and it seems awful bland. It is not distributed out my way but I have friends that bring a couple case with them when ever they return to visit family.

I made my second batch of Fat Tire from AHS kit yesterday and once again the O.G. was spot on at 1.050. The beer came out excellent last time when I kegged it. This time since my kegerator is out of commission I will be bottling it.

I just brewed that clone from AHS and the listed OG was 1.054, mine was 1.055, I have about 78% eff. so I end up with a little more alc. than I would normally. Was your recipe different?? Mine was the AG

Brewpilot

Mine was extract and their O.G. on the white paper they include said 1.050, it was spot on. I wish I could say the same for the Belgian Tripel of their I just brewed. Had a listed O.G. of 1.085 and mine came out to 1.070 15 freaking points off!!

Their kit only included 12# of extract and 14oz of candi sugar though so Im wondering if it wasnt the ingrediants of their dubbel.

Anyways my Fat Tire is fermenting rapidly now after 24 hours and the house smells wonderful.!

I simply used Nottingham... but for all subsequent brews I will have my starter equipment and such, so I will be more inclined to use liquid where necessary. Since this is supposed to be a malty beer, with biscuit and toasted flavors, I thought the Nottingham would suffice.

Brewpilot

Brewpilot said:
I simply used Nottingham... but for all subsequent brews I will have my starter equipment and such, so I will be more inclined to use liquid where necessary. Since this is supposed to be a malty beer, with biscuit and toasted flavors, I thought the Nottingham would suffice.

Brewpilot

That's exactly what I thought when I ordered a clone kit that came with WLP550..which dominated the flavor profile and hid all that malty/nutty/biscuity goodness.

One time I used Nottingham, and one time I used White Labs California Ale yeast. No noticeable difference to me, so if I were making it again I'd use the Nottingham. It's about $7 cheaper!

Yooper Chick said:
One time I used Nottingham, and one time I used White Labs California Ale yeast. No noticeable difference to me, so if I were making it again I'd use the Nottingham. It's about $7 cheaper!

I have a friend that is a huge fat tire fan and wants me to take another shot at it and I was thinking about going with nottingham (esp given my pref for dry yeast in situations like this where the flavor profile of the yeast is relatively neutral). Thanks for the feedback!

Back