An interesting drink - Cider with wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edcculus

Reaction score
We had a bottle of red wine with dinner last night (Cabernet I think). We were sitting around just talking, and I decided I wanted some cider. Not wanting to dirty another glass, I took my wine glass to the kegerator, which probably has about an ounce or less of wine left and decide "what the hell". I filled the glass with a regular draft cider from my kegerator.

The concoction was actually pretty good. Besides turning it a kind of girly pinkish color, I really liked it. It probably had to do with the fact my cider was made from store juice. Even though I added some tannin, nothing can really make up for using good quality cider apples. I'm thinking the wine added just a little bit of tannin, acidity and contributed its own flavors to kick the cider up a small notch.

If you happen to have an open bottle of wine, and some cider, I suggest giving it a try. I experimented with more, or less wine. If you really liked it, I suspect you could take it a bit further and just blend them when bottling or kegging. With the pink color, I suspect it would go over VERY well with SWMBO and her friends.

Back