Item on backorder...totally bummed out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FallsDamBrewery

Reaction score
I had been preparing to order my first equipment kit from William's Brewing for about a month now. I was waiting for their Brewer's Edge 32 quart brew kettle with ball valve to come back in stock since it is included in the package deal. The website said it would be back in stock today, I emailed them this morning and now it is backordered until 02/27/2010!

Grrr...I want to brew beer, and this kit is stuck in my head as the best and the most economically priced(full boil kettle with ball valve installed, wort chiller, fermenters, bottling buckets, hoses, etc for like 250). Anyone have any more suggestions?:mad:

Well I have read on here that partial boil's leave some sort of funky taste in the beer. If you do a partial boil do you even need a wort chiller? What about transferring from the kettle to the primary...just dump or siphon or what...since the kettle would not have a ball valve.

STD...Skanky Trub Disease. We'll find a cure, one day especially with your generous help.

Seriously, to answer your questions:

1. Partial boils can leave extract twang behind, but it really isn't that much of a difference. You can certainly make great beers with a partial boil start.

2. You don't need a wort chiller for partial boils, I used ice baths for a long time when I did p/b's.

3. Transferring into the primary, well, if you have a glass carboy or better bottle you will need a large funnel. If you are using a bucket, no worries. Sterilize the funnel and you are good to go.

When I was doing partial boils I chilled 3 gallons of spring water to about 38 degrees. I also chilled my wort to about 100 degrees. 2 gallons of cold spring water, 2 1/2 gallons of 100 degree wort, and top off with cold spring water came out to about 70 degrees. Just my experience.:mug:

Back