No flavor rating for specialty grains?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neldred

Reaction score
Hops have IBU, grains in general have SRM, but there is no rating for steeping grains that allow for flavor rating. For instance, say we want to add 16 oz of 10L crystal to a 5 gallon batch. How do we know (other than just color) how much flavor it will add, or even how much is appropriate?

I'm going to do a series of 1 gallon test batches to quickly gain empirical experience, but would like to hear your experiences before hand. Thanks!

What number is there to add for flavor?

My point exactly, it's purely theoretical...it's leading more to the question/point at the end of the original post.

On that thought though, bitterness is one of the flavors, and there is a number for that.

Well, I guess the problem with trying to quantify flavor is that there are so darn many of them.

Sugar gets a number (gravity points), and color contribution gets a number, but that's about it as far as I know, for grains.

I don't know how you'd express in numbers that the darker crystal malts impart fruit flavors (plums, figs, raisins), the medium ones have caramel/sweet flavors, etc. etc.

Back