Motorizing the Grinder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ysgard

Reaction score
I am looking to motorize my grinder. The bolt the crank is on is threaded 3/8" I believe. What is the wheel called that I need to install on this bolt? Whats a good source? McMaster Carr?

You probably need it weighted to not get hung up on the grain so I would look for a flywheel.

I am looking to motorize my grinder. The bolt the crank is on is threaded 3/8" I believe. What is the wheel called that I need to install on this bolt? Whats a good source? McMaster Carr?

You are probably referring to a pulley or sheave.

These are used with a motor and v-belt to drive something, and generally at a mechanical advantage of sheave sizes, for greater torque at a lower speed.

But be aware that the bushings that are in these mills do not like side loads, and due to the belt tension, will wear towards the motor.

An AC gearmotor drives inline with the mill's shaft without sideloading or need for guarding of the belt system.;)

You are probably referring to a pulley or sheave.

But be aware that the bushings that are in these mills do not like side loads, and due to the belt tension, will wear towards the motor.

An AC gearmotor drives inline with the mill's shaft without sideloading or need for guarding of the belt system.;)

Wow, good catch.

i'll be looking into using a windshield wiper motor in the near future. Not as fast as I'd like (70-100 RPM) but not horrible, great torque though.

i'll be looking into using a windshield wiper motor in the near future. Not as fast as I'd like (70-100 RPM) but not horrible, great torque though.

IMO, the slower RPM's are desirable. I'm running at 115 RPM and wouldn't change a thing. The slower speeds generate much less four dust. The whole milling process takes only 10 minutes or so. Even large high gravity grain bills don't take long at all. I fill the hopper with 20 lbs or so of malt, place a six gallon bucket under it, turn on the mill and do some other chores nearby so I can keep an eye on it. Milling the grain is probably the least time consuming task on brew day and it can be done ahead of brew day if you find that works better for you. I think between 100 & 200 RPM's is a good speed for a mill motor or gear arrangement. A lot probably depends on the mill design for optimum milling speed.

If I get a direct drive motor, such as a hammer drill, What would I use to marry it to the threaded shaft of my mill?

Which mill do you have? The threaded shaft on some mills is removable and it can be replaced with a smooth shaft that you can chuck in your drill. If you know the thread size into the roller, you can make an adapter yourself very easily. Just get a grade five bolt of the proper size and convenient length and lop off the hex head. Avoid using the cheapo non-graded bolts as they are very soft and will probably break before long.

A smooth-shaft to smooth-shaft connection is usually done with a lovejoy coupling. That way the 3/8 shaft could be mated to a 5/8 motor shaft.

best pricing I could find for my project was here.

I see alot of people just attach a cordless drill to it...
with_drill.jpg

Have seen this done with the roller mills too.

If you are a woman, I suggest you check out Motorizing a MaltMill. I have a Maltmill and will recommend it.

If you are a guy, just turn it for a few minutes and you will have your milled grain. No motor necessary because we are born with muscles, right?

Back