When to add fruit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KopyKat

Reaction score
Following the beer method of adding fruit to the secondary after most fermentation is complete, I will be racking my mead onto the loquats tomorrow. Fermentation has slowed to a bubble every 30 seconds or so.

In looking over Melomel recipes I see that most add fruit to the primary. Is there some reason for this? I am making another 3 gallons and am would like to know if anyone has an opinion on this?

Should I start with the fruit? It would seem that I would get more flavor by racking after fermentation is almost over like I do with beer. Perhaps there is a reason mead is different?

You'll get more fruit flavour by adding to secondary, but you'll get a different flavour from adding to primary, more wine-like. Fresh fruit doesn't taste like fermented fruit. Fruit added to primary tastes fermented, while fruit added to secondary tastes more like fresh fruit. I've added fruit to both primary and secondary/tertiary in the same batch to get more depth of flavour from the fruit. It just depends on what you're trying to get from the fruit. Regards, GF.

Thanks GF,

I will try it both ways. The two gallons already fermented will be with fresh and the three gallons I am going to make this weekend with fermented fruit. I guess I will know in a few months or years. :drunk:

Back