What do you get when you cross a Fat Tire clone and an Arrogant Bastard clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishLass

Reaction score
Fat Bastard :tank:

We're switching to AG, and decided to use up the rest of our extract ingredients before the switch-over. We had the ingredients for a Fat Tire clone, but decided to substitute the hop schedule from an Arrogant Bastard clone to satisfy my boyfriend's hop addiction.

We used
12 oz Crystal 20L
8 oz Belgium Munich
8 oz Carapils
4 oz Victory
4 oz Biscuit
1 oz Chocolate

6.50 lbs LME
3 oz Chinook

90 min full boil w/ late extract addition and 1 oz hops at 90, 60 and flame out. Our OG was 1.043... looking forward to the last hurrah before we go to AG.

I never did much extract brewing, but if I had to guess, this is going to be way way too bitter unless I'm missing something.

Chinook is generally between 13-15% AA and adding at 90 and 60 would crank out a ton of IBU's (I don't have beersmith near me so maybe someone else can calculate it out). W/ that low of an OG, there's just not going to be enough of a malt backbone to balance all the bitterness.

If you don't have any more LME, I'd just do a 60 min boil and maybe do 1 oz at 30 min, 10 min, and flame-out. To be honest though this still may be too many IBU's. I suggest playing around with beersmith/promash a little.

We thought it may be a disaster, but we have friends who will make it disappear even if we don't like it. Plus, who can pass up the opportunity to name a beer Fat Bastard :) Thanks for your reply, we're still noobs.

hmmm.. interesting, although there is already a wine called "Fat Bastard" :D. Let us know how it turns out

What would the ideal OG be? We've not strayed far from recipes, so this is a good learning experience.

This might help if you haven't seen it before:

hopsgraph.jpg

Back