First batch bottling question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woollybugger

Reaction score
I just got into homebrewing and did a partial mash Belgain Triple I racked it into the secondary after 10 days and then with the SG stable at 1.016 I bottled it into 22 ounce bombers.

I had almost a liter left over and I consumed it warm... and can testify that it does indeed have 8% ABV! ;)

My question is should there be any visible signs that carbonation is occurring in the bottle?

They are very cloudy and don't appear to have changed any in the few days that they have been sitting.

I find it hard to wait for this first batch to condition.....

RDWAHAHB... the only way to see carbonation is to open it up and watch the bubbles. If you wait 3 weeks or so you'll have some well carbonated beer and don't forget to keep in the fridge at least 48 hours before trying it.

I don't usually see any visual clue at all, except for the beginnings of some light dusting on the bottom of the bottles.

It's too late for this time, but I have a kinda "trick" I learned about gauging carbonation. When you fill your bottles, use at least one plastic bottle. A 16 ounce Pepsi bottle is fine. Just sanitize the screw on cap with the bottle caps. Put all of the bottles in the same place, and when the plastic bottle is hard, then you can chill it overnight. Try it the next day, and see how it is. When the plastic bottle is hard, the other bottles are carbed up too.

Even after the beer is carbed up, though, it's still a bit "green". If you save at least 6 bottles to drink when the beer is 8 weeks old (and hate to tell you, but at least twice that long for a Triple), you'll be thrilled with the brew.

A triple takes a long time to reach its peak, mostly due to the high ABV. Patience is needed for this one! For more immediate gratification, try brewing an English bitter or mild or a lower ABV pale ale. Those are pretty good at 4-6 weeks.

Back