Home Made Jiuqu or dried yeast ball for Rice wine!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arpolis

Reaction score
Hello everyone

To continue the never ending search for knowledge into the history of brewing & also to fill my lust for making the simple thing extremely complicated I am here to try and replicate my own Jiuqu or Chinese dried yeast balls.

***Warning*** ***In doing this I am dealing with different types of mold. Any of which can be harmful if treated improperly or can cause allergic reactions to some people which can cause irritation, illness or worse death. I conduct my experiments with much care and I understand what I am and am not allergic to when dealing with the ingredients. I do not suggest anyone undertake the same experiment. Please follow in my footsteps at your own caution.***

Ok now that I have that out. Seriously I think a lot can be learned from this experiment so I want to give it a go. I have made Japanese Sake with much success and really enjoy the process. Chinese Rice Wine is a much simpler practice with less ingredients and less strict fermenting practice/environment. The Rice wine gets rave reviews by many. But if you took the Sake ingredients and used them the same way you get a sour bowel of gross. I have a theory that the difference is in the molds used to saccharify the rice into sugar. Also Chinese Rice wine uses no additional water past what is used to steam the rice. I think the lack of water aids in the prevention of lactobacillus bacteria. What I am doing here is trying to test my mold hypothesis by introducing different mold into the fermenting process compared to what I have recently used in my latest Sake batch.

The old school traditional way of creating jiuqu required that someone created a wheat dough block and placed it on the stone floor until there are white mold blooms growing on top of it. Then it was placed in the top of the thatch roof of the home to let the wind dry out the block. Once completely dry the brewer could then layer steamed rice and powdered pieces of the jiuqu in a jar and leave it to ferment. The molds would saccharify the starch and wild yeasts ferment the sugar. After a month the sediment could be strained out and the white cloudy liquid consumed with much joy.

The problem I have with this process is that here in Oklahoma I have no idea what kind molds are floating around in my air. Many molds produce toxins that if ingested can cause a plethora of harmful symptoms. So I am going to use a more modern way of creating jiuqu.

With that a brewer creates a successful batch of rice wine and all the strained lees is mixed into a new dough block. Allowed to cultivate for a week and then dried and used. This process can be repeated to get consistent results from rice wine rather than just letting what the wind carries grow in your dough block.

As said before I recently made some Sake and I am happy with it so far. I have kept the strained lees from that batch in the fridge and I will use it to make my jiuqu; however, I am adding a new component. If I do not then I should have the same yeast and mold type that is in the Sake and I will probably get poor results based off of my hypothesis. I know that the mold I used for Sake was Aspergillus Oryzae. As long as it is cultivated at higher temps it produces larger amounts of Alpha and Beta Amylase. But from what I have been researching I have found that jiuqu also has larger amounts of Lipase & Protease which the Japanese Kome-Koji has less of. I decided to add Penicillium Roqueforti. It is a very common mold found all over the world and does produce the enzymes I am looking for. Bellow is the recipe I am using for the Jiuqu.

3 parts (6 TBS) Inoculants lees
5 parts (10 TBS) bleached wheat flour
1.5 (3 TBS) parts water
1g Penicillium Roqueforti spores
1g Aspergillus Oryzae spores

Needless to say my hands and everything else was cleaned extremely well to keep contamination low. I mixed it all very thoroughly and placed on a glass 11X9 pan. I used 1 TBS of additional flour to allow me to flatten the dough with a spatula without it sticking badly. Then flipped it over and added another 1 TBS so that both sides were not sticky. But up to this point the whole bit was pretty gooey because I wanted a higher liquid content to help the mold spores wake up.

The dough block was shaped into a 1cm high square so that the whole block should have equal exposure to air. The pan went into an incubator that will be kept at 85*F – 90*F over the following week. I have a paper towel draped over the dough but resting on the pan and not the dough. This is to keep any condensation from dripping on the dough. After I notice the white blooms growing on the dough but before it changes into the blue and yellow colored molds I will then take the dough outside into the cold to finish drying out and then I will have a go at some Rice wine.

I will let you know how it goes.

Anyone feel free to throw in any criticism or advice.

Careful with the spores man! I sequence fungi in the lab and we have to keep thing EXTRA clean to not pick up airborne spores.

I'm curious why you didn't use a rice yeast ball to inoculate your dough block? Wouldn't that have given you the right enzyme producing molds?

Careful with the spores man! I sequence fungi in the lab and we have to keep thing EXTRA clean to not pick up airborne spores.

I am using the same practices that I use to make Kome-Koji. To date I have not had a bad infection or contamination of additional mold spores. If I see something that I am not familiar with then I will still throw out the sample and try again.

I'm curious why you didn't use a rice yeast ball to inoculate your dough block? Wouldn't that have given you the right enzyme producing molds?

I wanted a little more control over what went into the dough block to test my hypothesis. I do not know what is in the dried yeast balls exactly and there are even some that say that one brand yeast ball over another has drastically different results. Also I want this to be a comparison to my Sake. This way I have the exact same strain of yeast but just an addition of a different mold and enzyme palate.

Good point. The ones I have seen are rice flour.

I have noticed that many yeast balls all use rice flower now days. I assume that is because rice flower is more readily available. A lot of info on what has driven me here came from this site:

http://www.sytu.edu.cn/zhgjiu/u2-2.htm

It suggests that early rice wine production came from jiuqu made from wheat and not rice. So I figured it not "Wrong" to try my first shot at this with wheat rather than rice flour.

So modern rice wine may have drifted somewhat from it's roots. :) I will be following your experiments closely. I find them extremely interesting.

Follow up!

Well the humidity in the incubator was much less than expected. 4 days ago I noticed the dough block drying considerably so I added 1/3 of a cup of water directly on top of the dough and left it alone. I checked it tonight and it was bone dry. Starting at about the 36 hour mark into this the smell of the dough was like fresh baked bread. It was very pleasant. As time went the smell changed more and more. I can't say what the smell is but it is not "Bad" really. But I know the mold and yeast have taken hold well and that has to be the smell of this particular Jiuqu. By the end I did have at least the white blooms scattered through the dough just I was not able to roll the dough into a ball really. I just have a square of dried dough now. If I do this again I will keep a cup of water in the bottom on top of the heating element to keep humidity up.

I put together a batch of Rice wine tonight using this Jiuqu and am hoping for the best. I will post the progress and results of that rice wine in the "Making traditional rice wine ..." thread. If you have any questions or suggestions on the Juiqu itself post that here please.

For what it's worth, I use a hydrofarm container and "heating" pad with thermostat (for planting just to be clear and be warned, I've only seen it make it to 26 degrees above ambient and it only advertises 20). You can get the container setup at amazon for $20-25 bucks. If your goal is to create a super humid environment and if you have to warm beyond room temperature this might do the trick quite well. Currently I'm still running on the same 1 cup of water and it's kept the soil (yes, I'm using it for spring plant startup) and it's going on ~23 days now. I suspect the most water I lost was due to changing from the 2" dome to the 7". You can also see clearly through the dome after a tap or two which seems as if it might help in this process?

I don't know, was just a thought.

Thank you for the thought. I just underestimated how quickly the dough would dry. I normally for other things have a jar or bowel of water added and did not for this. Next time I will do that and it should be fine.

I updated this in the Rice wine thread but not here. The Juiqu carried all the sacchrafication enzymes needed to liquify the rice really well however I do not think the yeast survived the process. I ended up adding some fresh Sake Lees that I knew had plenty of yeast in it to the Rice wine and that got the fermentation to take off. So next time keep the humidity up and rapidly dry it after the yeast and mold cultivate enough while making sure temps do not spike too high. .

Will keep in mind. I still suspect the above might work and may give it a shot. The cover has closeable vents so the humid period should be easy but how do you dry it quickly? The only thing I could think would be freeze drying but it would wreak havok if not kill the yeast pop entirely that way.

Well the way I intended to dry it out quickly was to make a simple cool air de-hydrator. Basically take Two new & sterilized air conditioner filters that will be strapped together. You take your yeasty moldy dough lump and make small 3/4" balls that will fit in between the ridges of the filters. So you have all the balls trapped in betwen the two filters so they will not roll away. The filters are then straped to a clean sterilized Box Fan set on high. Within 24 hours they should be as dry as they are going to get.

I do this with Deer Jerky rather than using a traditional de-hydrator which uses hot air to de-hydrate. When dealing with the meat it makes for a less chewy and brittle jerky. I hope that this dries out the Juiqu without harming the yeast from high heats.

Deer Jerky, Herbs, fruits, etc... They don't really tend to stick to the fabric of the filter. Seems like yeast balls (aka glueballs when wet ;) ) might be more problematic?

Eh not really. If it is the consistancy of bread dough and not stiky wet then it should be fine.

Hi! I'm working with the molds as well... I've been trying to isolate the molds in the winecake... I believe there are 2 different strains of aspergillus oryzae, but I'm still not 100%... the yellow koji seems more prevalent in the south and southeast asian "wine cakes" while the whit koji seems to be the staple for most of the chinese ones. There's also monascus purpureas, which turns everything red and also produces amylase (beni-koji, or chinese red. Yeast rice... red koji rice... contains no yeast). Cheers!

Hi! I'm working with the molds as well... I've been trying to isolate the molds in the winecake... I believe there are 2 different strains of aspergillus oryzae, but I'm still not 100%... the yellow koji seems more prevalent in the south and southeast asian "wine cakes" while the whit koji seems to be the staple for most of the chinese ones. There's also monascus purpureas, which turns everything red and also produces amylase (beni-koji, or chinese red. Yeast rice... red koji rice... contains no yeast). Cheers!
It would be interesting to know what you have done to attempt to isolate the differing strains of amylase producing fungi. Is your theory based on aggregate empirical data collection, or more scientific examination with a microscope etc?

I'm actually having a lot of difficulty isolating just the molds... the yeasts keep getting a start, and there seems to be a lot of different strains of the same mold in the cakes... each able to grow in the exact same medium. I've been trying various sodium solutions to see if perhaps the salt level variations will kill some but not others, but so far it (they?) are all ok. I've been a little timid about increasing solution percentages, and I wait 24 hours after each time to see if osmosis will redistribute the sodium evenly and create an even level... It's very early in the (blind luck really) process, and I just have my kitchen, so... you know, it's not really as scientific as I would wish. Just mashing microwaved bread bits sprinkled with water and ground wine cakes. Microwaves kill everything. I base my theories on yellow/southeast asia white/China on the results people have been getting in the other rice wine thread... most, but not all of the people who used Korean or Vietnamese cakes are reporting a sweet milky yellow ferment product, while the majority of those using a chinese product are getting a milky white product. Like I said, I'm just getting into it, and the empirical data is at best a bit shaky. I guess I really don't have anything scientifically definitive to say... just unproven theories so far, to be honest. I can speak definitively about the monascus and the aspergillus as far as what I've learned through research, but as far as proving through my own process of elimination what the wine cake strains or molds are, really can't say yet. I CAN say beyond a shadow of a doubt, the asian wine cakes contain both yeast and an amylase enzyme producing mold, based on the fact that neither molds or yeast alone can process the starches in rice into ethanol..... and yet the wine cake does just that. Smaller jar 1 week experiments using the wine cakes from the exact same bag (Chinese, bag of six, about the sixe of a 50 cent piece) produced 1 yellow and 5 white ferments. WTF does that mean? Not sure.
PS - I call Mushrooms on Accidic! I see you Brother! Catch me at Mycotopia... same name, always.

DUDE! You might be just the guy to find out... think about it.... millions of dudes never buying amylase again, and every time they think.... "Hey, that sonofgrok really saved us some loot man."
If anybody knows how to do it, You Know.
3,000 years of mold renamed "Sonofgrok - Red" , "Sonofgrok Black", "Sonofgrok - Yellow" and "Sonofgrok - White"...
OK, so that's a Long Shot... still, Got a nice ring to it!
*Sidenote - dying to get my hands on some Sonofgrok - Black.
Sidenote 2 - Man, I Love me some Deer Jerky. I got a good soak, pineapple juice, hot peppers, onions, garlic, ginger, soy sace. Save money and get the pineapple juice in the "international" aisle. Goyas good. Awesome marinade for grilling, too... tips, porkchops, chix, ribeyes, whatever.

I never thought about the color being a factor with the different methods of rice wine or sake but when I added the Penicillium Roqueforti to the jiuqu for me rice wine it did result in a much more yellow product then my traditional sake with just the aspergillos mold. So I wonder if the penicillium family results in compounds that lead to the yellow coloring.

Side note - pineapple juice makes a great marinade because it has a specific enzyme only found in pineapples that beaks down protien. Most commercial powdered meat tenderizers are made from extract of pineapple. I have fresh pineapples at SAMs club right now and I like to get a couple to make awesome marinades.

Arpolis, I think your starting theory might be correct... they might just put them out and catch whatevers floating about. Is the Roquefert the same one used in cheesemaking?

Actually yes it is. The very same for blue cheese specifically. Like sated before I know it is a fairly common type of mold and it is different from the aspergillus oryzae that I use for Sake in the types of enzymes produced. So I figured it a good first step.

After all this talk for the first time I took a side by side taste test of my last batch of Sake and my rice wine today.

One thing to note first was the difference in the lees. The Rice wine with the home made jiuqu had a "greasy" quality to it. It was so strange. I mean there is Rice Water and Jiuqu in this. But it felt like there was a bit of Animal fat mixed in. Kind of that consistency. So I have no clue as to what to make out of that.

From looks alone the Sake is super clear and looks just brilliant. The rice wine is a little cloudy and has this yellow color to it. Not like lemon yellow but a bit darker. The smell of both is about the same. VERY alcoholic and slightly sweet. The Sake is crisp, refreshing, has that unique blend of Wine vs beer kind of taste that only Fermented rice has and just a slight floral effervescence to finish the palate. The Rice wine is a little sweeter and tastes just as alcoholic and at first tasted similar and then some wicked taste creped onto the back of my tongue and spent something awful that made me spit it out. I took several other sips alternating the sake and rice wine and there is just "Something" off about this rice wine. If flavored with a strong berry I bet it may be fine but definably not my cup of tea so far.

So I think I accomplished the chemical makeup of proper jiuqu because it behaved and fermented exactly as expected but the taste is off. I am sure with different types of flour used and different cultivating temps/drying methods along with a few different mold types I bet a better flavor could be isolated but I think I am done with the experimentation on the Jiuqu. If I want to try the rice wine again I will order some Chinese yeast balls or rather yet I will just stick with Sake.

I'm actually having a lot of difficulty isolating just the molds... the yeasts keep getting a start, and there seems to be a lot of different strains of the same mold in the cakes... each able to grow in the exact same medium. I've been trying various sodium solutions to see if perhaps the salt level variations will kill some but not others, but so far it (they?) are all ok. I've been a little timid about increasing solution percentages, and I wait 24 hours after each time to see if osmosis will redistribute the sodium evenly and create an even level... It's very early in the (blind luck really) process, and I just have my kitchen, so... you know, it's not really as scientific as I would wish. Just mashing microwaved bread bits sprinkled with water and ground wine cakes. Microwaves kill everything. I base my theories on yellow/southeast asia white/China on the results people have been getting in the other rice wine thread... most, but not all of the people who used Korean or Vietnamese cakes are reporting a sweet milky yellow ferment product, while the majority of those using a chinese product are getting a milky white product. Like I said, I'm just getting into it, and the empirical data is at best a bit shaky. I guess I really don't have anything scientifically definitive to say... just unproven theories so far, to be honest. I can speak definitively about the monascus and the aspergillus as far as what I've learned through research, but as far as proving through my own process of elimination what the wine cake strains or molds are, really can't say yet. I CAN say beyond a shadow of a doubt, the asian wine cakes contain both yeast and an amylase enzyme producing mold, based on the fact that neither molds or yeast alone can process the starches in rice into ethanol..... and yet the wine cake does just that. Smaller jar 1 week experiments using the wine cakes from the exact same bag (Chinese, bag of six, about the sixe of a 50 cent piece) produced 1 yellow and 5 white ferments. WTF does that mean? Not sure.
PS - I call Mushrooms on Accidic! I see you Brother! Catch me at Mycotopia... same name, always.
That's actually very good methodology considering your limited equipment.

EDIT: Hmm, it could mean that multiple amylase producing fungus strains are present in the rice yeast ball. Small variances in the conditions could then be encouraging one to become dominant in the batch. It terms of making the product more robust, this would be a good idea from the manufactures point of view.

There isn't anything wrong with empirical data but, as you said, the empirical data is somewhat shaky too. I know I've read a few reports from people saying things that are wildly unlikely, actually disprovable, or so poorly described as to be useless.

Actually yes it is. The very same for blue cheese specifically. Like sated before I know it is a fairly common type of mold and it is different from the aspergillus oryzae that I use for Sake in the types of enzymes produced. So I figured it a good first step.

After all this talk for the first time I took a side by side taste test of my last batch of Sake and my rice wine today.

One thing to note first was the difference in the lees. The Rice wine with the home made jiuqu had a "greasy" quality to it. It was so strange. I mean there is Rice Water and Jiuqu in this. But it felt like there was a bit of Animal fat mixed in. Kind of that consistency. So I have no clue as to what to make out of that.

From looks alone the Sake is super clear and looks just brilliant. The rice wine is a little cloudy and has this yellow color to it. Not like lemon yellow but a bit darker. The smell of both is about the same. VERY alcoholic and slightly sweet. The Sake is crisp, refreshing, has that unique blend of Wine vs beer kind of taste that only Fermented rice has and just a slight floral effervescence to finish the palate. The Rice wine is a little sweeter and tastes just as alcoholic and at first tasted similar and then some wicked taste creped onto the back of my tongue and spent something awful that made me spit it out. I took several other sips alternating the sake and rice wine and there is just "Something" off about this rice wine. If flavored with a strong berry I bet it may be fine but definably not my cup of tea so far.

So I think I accomplished the chemical makeup of proper jiuqu because it behaved and fermented exactly as expected but the taste is off. I am sure with different types of flour used and different cultivating temps/drying methods along with a few different mold types I bet a better flavor could be isolated but I think I am done with the experimentation on the Jiuqu. If I want to try the rice wine again I will order some Chinese yeast balls or rather yet I will just stick with Sake.
I wonder if that is a result of the wheat flour you used. I don't find it present in the commercially available rice yeast balls.

I wonder if that is a result of the wheat flour you used. I don't find it present in the commercially available rice yeast balls.

I would think it has to be. But I am not sure what additional elements are in wheat flour vs rice flour that could cause it. hmmmmmmm.

I would think it has to be. But I am not sure what additional elements are in wheat flour vs rice flour that could cause it. hmmmmmmm.
Yeah, with bleached flour I'm not really sure either. If you had been using whole wheat I'd have said tannin and phenolic acid. It would just surprise me to find that you had enough of either from bleached flour to make a difference.

The only other thing I can think of is that you had breakdown of the protein in the flour and that produced something unpleasant.

I added enough salt tonight to kill them all... I blame drinking. I have kind of given up, much like the ancient asians must have... I don't think that I will ever know the exact mold strains, the exact yeast strains, or even the proper ferment temp.... I know it contains an amylase producing mold, and some yeast. The Ancient Asians showed a remarkable facility for a very sophisticated biochemical process... they actually mastered it... and yet they, like me, didn't know the names of the organisms invloved. I'm almost but not quite positive it's different strains of Aspergillus Oryzae.... I guess I'm OK with that. And I got a lot of other Booze related stuff that desperately needs my attention. I might revisit this sometime (Yeah, like if I somehow inherit a Lab, or even Lab Time.....)
Cheers!

Lol, talk about going the distance.
I brought myself here cuz after buying the yeast for my new batch of rice wine my curiosity of how its made had me searching.
Anyway, I got some info so far and am considering visiting or calling the manufacturer on this yeast ball thing.
The other variation of the yeast ball is a disc-shaped one and I'm interesting in knowing the difference too.

Lol I got with a manufacture in china trying to figure this out and I don't now what I said in a prior e-mail to them but quickly they turned to talking commercial volumes of their product and having my companies VPs visiting them. Long story short they shared very little of their process.

Also I just noticed that is in the wine forum. "Created before there was a Sake/Rice Wine forum" could we get someone to move this over please?

:mug:

how on earth you know how to culture your own wine yeast ?
amazing. i m saying this, maybe because i have no idea in yeast culturing.. mushroom.. ya.. but not yeast.

i was looking for way to culture glutinous rice wine that made by chinese.
that is a good wine.. very good for wife after pregnant.

i want to make the wine, but i have no where to get the yeast ball.. those sold in the asian store is of bad quality. i know it because i have a china friend who brought me 1 kg of real wine yeast.. and it does not look the same at all...

i know those in asian store also works.. i tried once.. but the quality of it just not the same.

hence i was thinking to be self resource, self sustainable.. my thinking is all thing made by God is sustainable.. as long as you know how...
that;s leads me to this post.

and i amazed that there is really way to do it.. and wow.

pls update us.. pls do a video on youtube.. i would love to learn from you.

wonderful.

cheers
andrew

Hello everyone

To continue the never ending search for knowledge into the history of brewing & also to fill my lust for making the simple thing extremely complicated I am here to try and replicate my own Jiuqu or Chinese dried yeast balls.

***Warning*** ***In doing this I am dealing with different types of mold. Any of which can be harmful if treated improperly or can cause allergic reactions to some people which can cause irritation, illness or worse death. I conduct my experiments with much care and I understand what I am and am not allergic to when dealing with the ingredients. I do not suggest anyone undertake the same experiment. Please follow in my footsteps at your own caution.***

Ok now that I have that out. Seriously I think a lot can be learned from this experiment so I want to give it a go. I have made Japanese Sake with much success and really enjoy the process. Chinese Rice Wine is a much simpler practice with less ingredients and less strict fermenting practice/environment. The Rice wine gets rave reviews by many. But if you took the Sake ingredients and used them the same way you get a sour bowel of gross. I have a theory that the difference is in the molds used to saccharify the rice into sugar. Also Chinese Rice wine uses no additional water past what is used to steam the rice. I think the lack of water aids in the prevention of lactobacillus bacteria. What I am doing here is trying to test my mold hypothesis by introducing different mold into the fermenting process compared to what I have recently used in my latest Sake batch.

The old school traditional way of creating jiuqu required that someone created a wheat dough block and placed it on the stone floor until there are white mold blooms growing on top of it. Then it was placed in the top of the thatch roof of the home to let the wind dry out the block. Once completely dry the brewer could then layer steamed rice and powdered pieces of the jiuqu in a jar and leave it to ferment. The molds would saccharify the starch and wild yeasts ferment the sugar. After a month the sediment could be strained out and the white cloudy liquid consumed with much joy.

The problem I have with this process is that here in Oklahoma I have no idea what kind molds are floating around in my air. Many molds produce toxins that if ingested can cause a plethora of harmful symptoms. So I am going to use a more modern way of creating jiuqu.

With that a brewer creates a successful batch of rice wine and all the strained lees is mixed into a new dough block. Allowed to cultivate for a week and then dried and used. This process can be repeated to get consistent results from rice wine rather than just letting what the wind carries grow in your dough block.

As said before I recently made some Sake and I am happy with it so far. I have kept the strained lees from that batch in the fridge and I will use it to make my jiuqu; however, I am adding a new component. If I do not then I should have the same yeast and mold type that is in the Sake and I will probably get poor results based off of my hypothesis. I know that the mold I used for Sake was Aspergillus Oryzae. As long as it is cultivated at higher temps it produces larger amounts of Alpha and Beta Amylase. But from what I have been researching I have found that jiuqu also has larger amounts of Lipase & Protease which the Japanese Kome-Koji has less of. I decided to add Penicillium Roqueforti. It is a very common mold found all over the world and does produce the enzymes I am looking for. Bellow is the recipe I am using for the Jiuqu.

3 parts (6 TBS) Inoculants lees
5 parts (10 TBS) bleached wheat flour
1.5 (3 TBS) parts water
1g Penicillium Roqueforti spores
1g Aspergillus Oryzae spores

Needless to say my hands and everything else was cleaned extremely well to keep contamination low. I mixed it all very thoroughly and placed on a glass 11X9 pan. I used 1 TBS of additional flour to allow me to flatten the dough with a spatula without it sticking badly. Then flipped it over and added another 1 TBS so that both sides were not sticky. But up to this point the whole bit was pretty gooey because I wanted a higher liquid content to help the mold spores wake up.

The dough block was shaped into a 1cm high square so that the whole block should have equal exposure to air. The pan went into an incubator that will be kept at 85*F – 90*F over the following week. I have a paper towel draped over the dough but resting on the pan and not the dough. This is to keep any condensation from dripping on the dough. After I notice the white blooms growing on the dough but before it changes into the blue and yellow colored molds I will then take the dough outside into the cold to finish drying out and then I will have a go at some Rice wine.

I will let you know how it goes.

Anyone feel free to throw in any criticism or advice.

:mug:

how on earth you know how to culture your own wine yeast ?
amazing. i m saying this, maybe because i have no idea in yeast culturing.. mushroom.. ya.. but not yeast.

i was looking for way to culture glutinous rice wine that made by chinese.
that is a good wine.. very good for wife after pregnant.

i want to make the wine, but i have no where to get the yeast ball..

cheers
andrew

Check eBay. I get mine from seller jak1010. Always has them and pretty cheap.

The actual rice wine is easy and tasty stuff.

Back