Roomates are ridiculous

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-ost

Reaction score
I have some roomates, one of them was starting to develop a taste for some good beer (Mike) until a Coors light lover moved in (Austin). I also made a mistake with introducing this new guy to the coors light draft for your fridge. They fell in LOVE with it. For the last week it has been the only beer they have bought.

Now keep in mind I've been kegging for a few months and I have been roomates with mike since I started homebrewing. He has never taken too much interest in the actual brewing part but has tried every one of my beers and has enjoyed some and not so much others (not an insult to me because he only liked BMC until I started this hobby).

Back to the story...
The first two days they had this it was funny, they were trying to learn how to pour it correctly and it kinda reminded me of learning to keg. That didn't last long though because Mike, who I have been teaching about beer, then says "Damn! Thats pretty good!". He tries to use some tasting notes he has heard and he is looking at the color, all the while trying to convince me that I have to try to this beer. I remained silent because it was just too ridiculous for me to say anything but in my head "It's COORS I know what it tastes like! It tastes the same every time you drink it!"

Now they both are looking for a minifridge so they can stock a sanke keg of coors for the house. They are getting all excited trying to figure out how to do a kegerator conversion. I'm the guy who is about to build a Keezer to house a few of my home brew kegs but these guys are getting all excited about 1 keg of crap beer.

While writing this it started as a rant but through reading it I realized something... Let them get a keg, more home brew for me to drink! :mug::tank:

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still."

I don't know why anyone would try to convert BMC drinkers to craft beer drinkers. At first, it's like pounding your head against the wall, and at best, once you succeed, then you have the worst kind of homebrew mooch on your hands.

Just leave them to their Coors.

Just think if they were both really into good craft brews... you'd never keep your taps full. And if they don't ever take any interest in the actually brewing part, it sounds like you'd be doing a lot of work ( and spending money ) supplying the house with brew.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still."

I don't know why anyone would try to convert BMC drinkers to craft beer drinkers. At first, it's like pounding your head against the wall, and at best, once you succeed, then you have the worst kind of homebrew mooch on your hands.

Just leave them to their Coors.

I was never trying to convert him, he mentioned one day to me that he was starting to like hops, and the hoppy beers I have made are the few he has actually enjoyed. But trust me, I would rather hog it to myself than give it someone who I know won't like it and for that reason I don't force it on anyone.

Definitely let them pay for part of the keezer and a separate tap for the (sex in a canoe) then at some point down the road you get buy out the their half.

And More Homebrew for you

That my friend is a Win-Win situation

I see your point, however, the silver lining here is that if they're drinking the Coors, they'll stay out of your homebrew!

~rc~

The silver lining, is that when they burn through one keg, they either get bored of the contraption or don't have enough money to keep the keggerator stocked. They try to sell it to the OP at a reduced rate, and he gets extra tap room! :mug:

Who can argue with more beer? I mean seriously, we're talking about someone else buying a keg of beer to be kept within walking distance...

My College roommate and I almost bought a Slurpee making. To keep Margaritas and daiquiris on tap. Probably a good thing one of us had a moment of clarity.

Who can argue with more beer? I mean seriously, we're talking about someone else buying a keg of beer to be kept within walking distance...

The problem is not that they bought a keg...it's that they bought Coors. I mean c'mon, everybody knows Budweiser is the king of beers. Put that in your silver bullet!

thiiiiiiiiiiiiis
and after a certain number, i'd rather drink the cheap stuff than waste good homebrew i won't remember tasting

I think some of you are missing the point. Of course I would like 15 gallons of free beer, it would definitely take some burden off of my pipeline.

My main points were...
They were so mesmerized with being able to have ~2 gallons of beer on tap in their fridge while in the next room there is 10 gallons sitting there in kegs.

They thought they could taste or see a huge difference in the beer quality when, like i said, its Coors it should be tasting the same no matter what or they wouldn't have such a high selling product.

And even though they have seen my fridge go from fridge > kegerator and have heard my plans of converting a chest freezer, they thought they needed to jerry-rig something up to make this work. They could just ask but I will let them figure something out... They aren't the brightest or handiest people around so it could be amusing.

Not sure what the problem is. These guys are excited about beer. They want to build a kegerator. They aren't pouring your beer down the sink. Sound like pretty cool roommates to me.

Back