Can I pitch my starter or should I postpone brew day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czeknere

Reaction score
Up until last evening around 8 I had plans today, which meant no brew time. But then my plans for the day fell through so I decided that I would make an Orange Cream Ale today. I had received a yeast starter kit for christmas and wanted to have this be the first attempt at using it. So last night around 830 I boiled up some DME, added it to the flask, covered it with foil, agitated it every half hour or so until 3, and went to bed. It's now 11 and I know its a little early to use the starter, but I see absolutely no activity...not a sign at all actually. The liquid looks exactly the same as it did when I pitched the yeast yesterday. I have since moved it to a warmer spot hoping to get the yeasties going.

So the issue I have now: I won't have another brew day until next Monday, do I go ahead and brew today and just pitch the yeast? Or do I let the starter ferment out, throw it in the fridge, and start it back up on Saturday? I know by the time I actually get around to starting this batch, it will be this afternoon so the yeast will still have some time. But I don't want to start this batch and have un-useable yeast by the time I need it.

Thanks!

Good point, I really didn't want to have to push this off. I guess the other thing I'm concerned about is that the yeast might not be viable. They're showing absolutely no sign of working at almost 14 hours. Is this normal with a starter? I'm using White Labs California Ale yeast. The bottle said it was good until March 09.

Also, the first couple starters can throw you because they do not have much visible activity.

I did a trappist starter a couple months back and I could not really see any activity. BUT, when I aerated my wort in the carboy prior to pitching, got a couple inches of foam on top and when I pitched the yeast the foam turned into krausen without ever going away. It was that fast.

I am generally a high krausen pitcher which mean that sometimes you just have to take on faith that the yeast is viable and just having an orgy of a time in that starter even though sometimes it is not obvious.

Back