What is your favorite commerical beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not entirely sure how well-distributed their beers are but moving up here to AK has introduced me to my new favorites. Deschutes Brewing makes excellent brews. The Black Butte Porter is probably my absolute fav but they also make a great stout called Obsidian and Mirror Pond Pale Ale is also pretty tasty. Another company called Big Sky out of Montana makes a Moose Drool Sout that is just heavenly and their Scapegoat Pale Ale is pretty good too.

Ok where to begin,

here is just a short list (to many beers, to little time)

Guiness (on tap only)
Boddingtons
Yeuingling
Kostritzer octoberfest
pyramid hefeweizen

as for alaska beers:

Alaskan amber and oatmeal stout are excellent
and
moose's tooths pipeline stout topped with rasberry wheat is to die for

I Live In Maine And There Are Three Micro Brews That Have Gotten Pretty Commercialized, But They Still Blow The Socks Off Of Any Big Brews I Have Tasted.
One Is Gearys: Pale Ale , Hampshire Ale, And A Great Seasonal Winter Ale. He Started The First Micro Craze In These Woods Probably 20 Years Ago. After I Started To Brew This Is The Pretty Much The Only Beer I Buy.
Two Is Shipyard :export Ale, Longfellow Ale, And A Great Seasonal Brew Summer Ale, This Beer You Can Sit On A Patio And Drink For Hours. This Company Was Another Fore Fronter In The Micro Business Probably 15 Years Ago. He Is Also The First One In Maine To Get Affiliated With A Big Company Miller. He Then Bought It Back And Brought It Back To Its Glory Day.
Third And Final Gritty Mcduffs. This Is The First Place Where I Sat And Pounded Beers And Watched Beer Be Made.
I Also Lived In Seattle About 15 Years Ago And I Used To Drink Red Hook Before Miller Got Its Paws Into It. Back Then I Was A Snotnose Punk Who Drank 30 Buds A Night, So When I Tried This After Six Beers I Was Feeling Good, This Was My First Real Ale Drunk.

That is hard but lately I've been drinking Paulaner's Hefe Weizen when I buy beer from the store. It's a great brew.

AlaskaAl(e) said:
I'm not entirely sure how well-distributed their beers are but moving up here to AK has introduced me to my new favorites. Deschutes Brewing makes excellent brews. The Black Butte Porter is probably my absolute fav but they also make a great stout called Obsidian and Mirror Pond Pale Ale is also pretty tasty. Another company called Big Sky out of Montana makes a Moose Drool Sout that is just heavenly and their Scapegoat Pale Ale is pretty good too.

Hell yeah! The Black Butte Porter is definitely one of the best porters made in the US. All their beers are great. It's a fun place to stop in if you're ever in Bend. Last time I was up there, they had the BBP cask conditioned :D

Well, when I go out, I tend to drink Guinness. If you're ever in London, there's a pub just off covent garden called the coach and horses that serves an excellent pint (and does very nice roast beef sarnies at lunchtime as well)

At home, I tend to drink cans of Tanglefoot (badger breweries) Badger's a local brewery close to the town I was brought up in.

Ah, a pint at the pub. Sounds pretty awesome Paul. Maybe one day I'll get to cross the pond to chill in a pub. Right now we're hooked on Mexico for vacations. Hard to beat the white sand, sun and crystal clear waters.....

My new favorite brews are from a micro here in Texas. Real Ale Brewing Company in Blanco, TX. Their Brewhouse Brown Ale, Full Moon Pale Rye Ale, and Shade Grown Coffee Porter (seasonal) are excellent beers. If ever in the Austin, Dallas, Houston area, try to pick some up or go to one of the good tap houses and try a pint!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

During the warm months I like visit Squatter's (a brewpub in Salt Lake City) when their Full Suspension pale ale is served cask conditioned. It is an exquisite pint.

Guinness, in my opinion, trancends seasons or the time of day. Sadly, there are precious few pubs in Utah that serve it on tap.

msleeve_ak said:
moose's tooths pipeline stout topped with rasberry wheat is to die for

You won't be finding much in the way of Guiness on tap up here but if you want to sit in a brew pub and enjoy a number of wonderful beers then the Moose's Tooth is the place to go in Anchorage. First tap is the monthly small-batch special and is usually gone by the second week but it's always awesome. This month is "Bad Moon a'Weissen" and although I'm not a hugh Hef' fan I loved this stuff. Rarely is seen a school night that I'm tanked but I couldn't get enough of the stuff.

Shiner Bock. It goes so damn good on a hot summer day after cutting the grass, or with some good ol' Texas BBQ!

If I had to pick 2, #2 would be Arrogant Bastard Ale by Stone Brewing. If you've never had it, don't cheat yourself any longer! Try the Bastard.........if your worthy! (so the bottle says :D )

Cheers!
DeRoux'S Broux

I always smile at that. Stone managed to come up with THE BEST marketing scheme for a craft beer. Bar none. You don't like it? Well that's your fault, haha

I've been drinking a lot of Anchorage Galaxy White IPA lately. Although i tried Jolly Pumpkins Bam Biere for the first time and it may have took the cake, I need to try it again...

Back