Vac seal hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_howard

Reaction score
My local home brew store sells hops in vacuum sealed bags. But most of the packaging is more than a recipe calls for. We have a food saver vacuum sealer. If I open a package of hops, take what I need, and then re-vacuum and seal, will they last for a while in the fridge? Or once their opened, is that it, they're done.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Ryan

I do that all the time. I buy hops by the # when there on sale and then when i open the pack for the first time i split it into smaller portions with a vacume sealer and freeze them. They last a long time that way.

Works fine. If you have to keep them any length of time, the freezer works better than the fridge.

I'm planning on planting some Cascade in the spring, and that's what I'm planning on doing with them.

My local home brew store sells hops in vacuum sealed bags. But most of the packaging is more than a recipe calls for. We have a food saver vacuum sealer. If I open a package of hops, take what I need, and then re-vacuum and seal, will they last for a while in the fridge? Or once their opened, is that it, they're done.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Ryan

That's what I do, I buy my hops for the year in bulk when the crops are pelletized and released and then the first time I use each hop type I break it down into smaller bags and vacuum seal them. Store them in the freezer and they'll keep just fine. If you have a chest freezer it's probably better, but I use the freezer of my beer fridge.

Tanks guys, ths is great. I'm trying to move to smaller batches, and this will help me keep my cost per batch down.

I keep pounds in the deep freeze and as I break them out they go into mason jars in the fridge. It's funny I do this to increase batch size and keep cost down.

mikescooling said:
I keep pounds in the deep freeze and as I break them out they go into mason jars in the fridge. It's funny I do this to increase batch size and keep cost down.

Doing the same, but using a brake bleeder and jar adapter to vacuum seal Mason jar lids and put the jars back in the freezer. Leaf hops take up a lot of mason jars, though! I can only cram about 4.5oz in a quart jar.

Back