Too bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvergti

Reaction score
Is there any way to mellow out the bitterness during the bottling process? I have had my ipa in secondary for three weeks now hoping that will do its magic..took a reading and a sip, it's bitter as hell. Thanks all.

a bitter IPA? I never heard of such a thing! Now really is that bitter??? Bitterness will mellow a tiny bit but a lot of the hops aromas and flavours will fade too

It will mellow out some over time, especially once you bottle and cold condition, but the bitterness probably won't go away completely--you did brew an IPA after all.

A warm beer coming out of the fermenter is going to taste a bit more bitter and green than it will once it's carbed up and cold. Start making judgment calls on the beer after that.

I thought my first two beers were going to be undrinkable. But after bottling, and only conditioning another two weeks, it was amazing how much the flavor changed.
Like the others have said, bottle it, condition it a bit more, and try one cold. I'll bet you will be amazed too.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love me some bitter ass IPAs, not that taste like bitter ass, but bitter bitter. It's almost unenjoyable. I'll give it time. Thanks all.

Back