film yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sa101

Reaction score
hey everyone, first time poster, avid reader, so thankyou for all your ideas and suggestions!

I've gotten to the 7 day mark of primary fermentation. I'm starting small scale (5L demijohns) so I can get some decent recipes before trying them out in a bigger batch.

My issue is an apparent film yeast one. In one of my four demijohns, there seems to be a large amount of build up around the neck. Should I be worried about this? It's a 60/40 mix Apple Juice/Pear Juice, 400g of dextrose was added, with a SG of 0.069 before adding yeast

Any help would really be appreciated :)

P1010117.jpg

P1010118.jpg

Firstly, you did not measure your SG correctly. A SG of .069 would mean that it was only 6.9% as dense as water. Pure distilled water has a SG of exactly 1.00, and because sugars (and almost anything you'd add to a brew) are denser than water, most brews begin their fermentation at anywhere between 1.045 and 1.065 and ending somewhere around 1.010-1.020.

A film on the edge of the glass or bucket as the Krausen recedes isn't a problem, though most narrow necked vessels are meant to be filled so that when the foam rises, most of the Krausen exits through a spill-hose into a catch basin (creating an airlock in the process)

Most people agree that if you "blow off" the Krausen (the process I detailed above) you end up with a better tasting brew, but it will still come out tasting just fine, that said based on the pictures fermentation is still going strong, you've probably heard/seen this before, but since your doing a 1 stage fermentation time is your friend, I'd personally leave them for another 2 weeks at least before I transferred them to their final bottles/containers for 1-2 weeks (minimum) of carbonation/conditioning.

By the way, what are you using to form the airlock so that bacteria/oxygen cannot get in?

Just remember the golden rule of home-brew, RDWHAHB!

*EDIT* Caught a typo or two I missed when I read it over in the comment box, its 2:00am lol :3

I meant 1.069 ;)

Just using water, I've heard of people using vodka or apple cider, but water seems to be the norm.

Thanks for the help Andrew, I think I'll just do what you've suggested and let it sit. First hydrometer reading tomorrow night, so excited to see whats been happening!

most brews begin their fermentation at anywhere between 1.045 and 1.065 and ending somewhere around 1.010-1.020.

if by brews you mean beer then fair enough, but ciders that start in that range tend to ferment out completely, to around 0.996 - 1.000

Back