Android BrewAide-Brew Day Assistant- Free

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adeering

Reaction score
For those who have been following my other thread you are well aware of this and thank you for the support and help finding bugs.

For everyone else this is to inform/update you on my Brew Day Assistant known as BrewAide.

The app was originally made to view BeerSmith recipe files but now is compatible with any BeerXML recipe file. Allows you to view your recipe, get brewing steps, mash and boil timers and much more. Available for free on the Android market heres the description:

BrewAide--the perfect little helper we all wish we had on brew day

BrewAide is an app to read exported recipes from BeerSmith or any brew app supporting BeerXML. BrewAide allows you to view your recipe on brew day and provides you with all the essential tools needed throughout your brewing process. Features Include the following:
-Recipe View
-Brewing Steps
-Conversion Tools
-Refractometer, Boil-Off, Dilution Tools
-Brew Day Timers
-Dropbox folder support-requires dropbox login
-Local Folder storage of recipes
-Alarmed reminder for mash steps and boil additions
-Set warning to 0,1,3, or 5 minutes before addition
-Updating Recipes with measured data
-BSMX file viewing
-BeerXML file viewing
-Portrait and Landscape viewing modes
-Tablet and phone support
-And More!
Read a third-party review here
Future Features will include:
-Sync with BeerSmith recipe cloud
-Shopping List with substitution list

BrewAide is meant to be the expert little helper that we all wish we had on brew day. It will help you execute and achieve the perfect recipe you designed.
Designed for 4.0 inch screens and above
Disclaimer: BrewAide is not associated with BeerSmith in any way and is not part of the BeerSmith brand.
BeerSmith is a trademark of BeerSmith LLC

And in case you missed it at the top here is the download link:

BrewAide

If you enjoy my app, please rate it on the market, every rating makes it more popular

And just a production note this is whats in store for future releases and just a part of my ToDo list:
Future Features/Updates:
-BrewAide default action for BSMX files and BeerXML files- this will allow ability to download files from the internet (say your local webpage/storage) and it will open and copy them to local folder
-Shopping List
-Update Graphics for color glasses
-Selectable ingredients-will give popup with more info about ingredient
-Style info button-will give popup with info on style
-Some cosmetic changes
-Additional tools-carb tool, hydrometer tool

I would love to see as a part of the shopping list feature the ability to show changes needed because of hop AA% differences. So if the recipe calls for 1oz of a 4.5%, and all the have of that hop is a 7% what different amount should I buy.

noticed a bug in the current version. it set ALL of my recipes to have 0.0null for the grains weight.
snap20120426_140829.png

snap20120426_140724.png

try going into settings and selecting a weight unit and see if that effects anything

edit: also are the weights there in the brewsteps

Just a suggestion,

On the Timers page the spacing between Mash Timers and Boil Timers seems to large. I would think normally the amount of space needed for Boil Timers would be greater than that needed for Mash Timers. I usually only have 1 Mas Timer, and 3 to 6 Boil Timers. I have to scroll to see the Boil Timers wither lots of extra space above them between the Boil and Mash sections.

Maybe make the Boil Timers automatically be spaced X number of pixels below the last Mash Timer? This way extra space could be used for either Mash or Boil timers as needed.

I know what it was, I changed how the settings handle units and because of that the previous saved units didnt work.

So for anybody else with the newest update, go into settings and reset your units and it should fix everything

Just a suggestion,

On the Timers page the spacing between Mash Timers and Boil Timers seems to large. I would think normally the amount of space needed for Boil Timers would be greater than that needed for Mash Timers. I usually only have 1 Mas Timer, and 3 to 6 Boil Timers. I have to scroll to see the Boil Timers wither lots of extra space above them between the Boil and Mash sections.

Maybe make the Boil Timers automatically be spaced X number of pixels below the last Mash Timer? This way extra space could be used for either Mash or Boil timers as needed.

Could you post a pic and give a little info on your device. When designing for all the different devices its hard to make it fit perfect so knowing the device ill be able to adjust better

Cool looking app. Dont have any recipes here at work so I just checked out the calcs. I can def see myself using this when I dont feel like lugging the laptop to the brewery.

I am on the Droid Bionic, screen resolution of 540x960.

Attached is a screenshot. Ignore the colors, my app that takes the screenshots screws with the colors.

You can see my Mash Timers only have 1 item, while there are 5 Boil Timers. With no scroll bars in the Boil Timers section it can be difficult to even see where the additional items are.

2012-04-26 12.00.29.jpg

Ok, Ill look at it, but the way it is now the list of addition is scrollable you just need to start your swipe on the items, and I have it so the mash and boil timer take up half the available space, so they are set equal. In your situation it isnt ideal as you only have 1 step, but for people doing more complex mashes this makes more sense.

Now Ill look into seeing if I can make it adjust without causing any problems still, but again the list is scrollable and I tried to make it so you could see a couple steps no matter what

Thanks for all the hard work in developing your app. The brew timers itself are worth installing the app. I just installed the most recent update. However, I tried to donate, but I received an error.

Ok, Ill look at it, but the way it is now the list of addition is scrollable you just need to start your swipe on the items, and I have it so the mash and boil timer take up half the available space, so they are set equal. In your situation it isnt ideal as you only have 1 step, but for people doing more complex mashes this makes more sense.

Now Ill look into seeing if I can make it adjust without causing any problems still, but again the list is scrollable and I tried to make it so you could see a couple steps no matter what

No worries! It is certainly manageable, and I understand the difficulties in dealing with different sized screens. I have been wanting to start doing some developing for Android but all the different devices can be intimidating.

Thanks for all the hard work in developing your app. The brew timers itself are worth installing the app. I just installed the most recent update. However, I tried to donate, but I received an error.

Do you happen to know what the error says? and make sure you are connected to the internet, and give it a little while to initialize before you try.

Edit: Im retarded, changed it to testing code and forgot to change it back, will be fixed in next update, will release a small update later today to fix that and a couple other small bugs I found

Maybe I am just missing it, but I'd like for the app to display the FG and ABV. I've had a couple situations where I couldn't remember the abv or FG and was asked. I pulled out my app but couldn't find the info.

Other info like Total hops, total grain, etc would be nice as well.

Maybe I am just missing it, but I'd like for the app to display the FG and ABV. I've had a couple situations where I couldn't remember the abv or FG and was asked. I pulled out my app but couldn't find the info.

Other info like Total hops, total grain, etc would be nice as well.

Estimated ABV is displayed on the recipe view page. FG isnt exactly displayed, however if you have entered the information (either on beersmith/BeerXML file) or you input it in the BrewAide spot and updated the file, then it is displayed on the brewsteps page

As for Total Hops/Grains not displayed in its own spot but can easily be figured out looking at the recipe view.

Some things are left out for the android version due to lack of space and keeping things as condense and easily managed as possible. Because of the lack of space putting all the information would require multiple views which makes it less user friendly to have to switch. Now Im constantly adding stuff and working more into what is available and Ill add those things onto the list to try and add, but not promising anything

Ok I know I said i would release a update today, but work went longer than expected and i have gotten 2 hours of sleep the last two nights so not feeling like working on it anymore today and gonna try and get some sleep.

Tomorrow I will update it though, will have fix donate button, app will now be able to open bsmx recipes as the default app from a file browser (BeerXML isnt working right but will try to get that working) and gonna redo the brewsteps to better display everything nicer on all devices. As well as some other minor additions

I'm getting a path /Recipes error trying to use dropbox for the recipes. I created a Recipes folder at the root of my dropbox folder and exported my reipes to that folder.

IS it looking for a /Recipes folder at the root of the SD card?

Adeering, I have noticed that there is a section in brewsteps for steeped hops, but on my recipes that have a steeped addition, the hops don't show-up on either the brewsteps or timers. They only show-up on the main recipe view.

I'm getting a path /Recipes error trying to use dropbox for the recipes. I created a Recipes folder at the root of my dropbox folder and exported my reipes to that folder.

IS it looking for a /Recipes folder at the root of the SD card?

dropbox/Apps/Brewbuddy/Recipe is the path its looking for.. there should be a folders there called apps... in that one called Brew Buddy... just create one in there call Recipes

dropbox/Apps/Brewbuddy/Recipe is the path its looking for.. there should be a folders there called apps... in that one called Brew Buddy... just create one in there call Recipes

Sweet. That worked. However found a bug.

I exported my whole brew log into a bsmx file. When I opened the folder in the app, it imported ALL of my recipes as 1 single recipe.

So....
my og is 6.438
my ibu is 3276.4
my est abv is 499.7%

That is an epic beer, not a typo!

Guess I need to do individual exports. It would be nice for it to interpret exports of multiple recipes.

Sweet. That worked. However found a bug.

I exported my whole brew log into a bsmx file. When I opened the folder in the app, it imported ALL of my recipes as 1 single recipe.

So....
my og is 6.438
my ibu is 3276.4
my est abv is 499.7%

That is an epic beer, not a typo!

Guess I need to do individual exports. It would be nice for it to interpret exports of multiple recipes.

yep... you have to export each one...individually....

Couple of things I've noticed with the current release...

In the refractometer tool, if you enter anything that comes out to 1.10 SG (or above) it gives you 1.010... Such as entering 32 brix gives a 'corrected gravity' of 1.0139.
Still waiting for the option to enter refractometer readings in SG as well as brix.

Is it possible to have grain amounts in pounds/ounces? Such as 1 lbs 8.0 oz instead of 1.5 lbs... Or at least for amounts under a full pound...

Found another item... I set the mash volume units to quart, but the steps list it in gallons. It also doesn't list how much water to sparge with.

Another item is you should probably list the yeast amount, in the recipe view, in package/packet amounts. Either that, or have it predefined as 125ml for liquid and how ever many grams for dry yeast. Same information as in BeerSmith (and the recipe export).

It's getting closer... :D

It would be nice for it to interpret exports of multiple recipes

Its on my list of possible update features, the problem is telling whether the file is the recipes list or a single recipe and how to display it. It probably wont happen in any recent update as right now its low in priority but its on the list so I will look more into it. Another thing is the default recipe folder for BeerSmith, I would like if I could make it possible to assign your default recipe folder to a dropbox folder and access it, but the way the info is saved is a little different so would require an entire rework. Since i am now making this for both BSMX and BeerXML i have to consider that as well. Realistically, without infringing more on BeerSmith legality issues and stealing their databases (which is a no-no) this probably wont happen. Sorry, hands are a little tied

if you enter anything that comes out to 1.10 SG (or above) it gives you 1.010

Added to the list and Ill look into it

Is it possible to have grain amounts in pounds/ounces

Already on the list, be patient it will get put in eventually, since its a display preference type thing it isnt as high on priority at the moment but its on my list

I set the mash volume units to quart, but the steps list it in gallons. It also doesn't list how much water to sparge with

You might need to reload the recipe to get the new unit setting to take effect. Im adjusting this and shouldnt need to be reloaded on next update

As for sparge, I think I found how to calculate the amount of sparge water, as beersmith only exports the temp and not the amount. I dont sparge personally so had to research to figure it out. But I recnetly found the data on it and it will be put in on one of the future updates (probably not the next one but the one after that)

list the yeast amount, in the recipe view, in package/packet amounts

Been meaning to adjust this and figure out how to handle it, the file specifies it in packages and wasnt sure, just hadnt gotten around to seeing how beersmith handled slants and cultures, but it seems it always does package, so that should be fixed in next update

I do ask though if you mention something once (as in a feature request or anything non bug) and I respond and say I have added to the list to please be patient and dont remention it, most stuff being asked for now are extras that are nice to have but dont make the app un-useful without. So if I put it on my list it will eventually be put in. But please remember Im one person making this in my spare time (which being in the Air Force means I have very little since I work 12 hour days and working on my masters). And while I would love to make this perfect for every single person, there are way too many different ways to brew beer and take measurements and how people like it. So Im trying to cover the most popular methods first and the people with unique stuff might have to adjust to make it work.

Now that I have done a little complaining of my own I do have it planned in a couple weeks (when i take two weeks of leave to visit family) to set up a feature request/bug report web page for people to submit officially request. So you can see what has and hasnt been requested and what is also on my list of future features/fixes

I do ask though if you mention something once (as in a feature request or anything non bug) and I respond and say I have added to the list to please be patient and dont remention it, most stuff being asked for now are extras that are nice to have but dont make the app un-useful without. So if I put it on my list it will eventually be put in. But please remember Im one person making this in my spare time (which being in the Air Force means I have very little since I work 12 hour days and working on my masters). And while I would love to make this perfect for every single person, there are way too many different ways to brew beer and take measurements and how people like it. So Im trying to cover the most popular methods first and the people with unique stuff might have to adjust to make it work.

Now that I have done a little complaining of my own I do have it planned in a couple weeks (when i take two weeks of leave to visit family) to set up a feature request/bug report web page for people to submit officially request. So you can see what has and hasnt been requested and what is also on my list of future features/fixes

You have done an outstanding job on this app! What a lot of people fail to remember is that you are just a single person that made an app and gave it to the public. Thank you for making it and thank you for taking the time to listen to all the feedback. Most importantly, a HUGE thank you for serving your country. Take the time off to go visit your family. They need to see you as much as you need to see them. (my son is stationed in Okinawa).

Ric
USAF Vet

Good News Everyone!! (name the tv reference)

As promised I released the new update and with a few more features than expected, heres the list of fixes/updates:

-App now registered as default app for BSMX, so this means that if you download a file to your SD somewhere from a webpage and go into your filebrowser and click on it, it should open my app to the recipe view page automatically. Now its been hit or miss on the support, some file browsers work and some dont (not sure why or how to fix at the moment)
-Fixed BrewSteps display to better handle different screen sizes
-Fixed yeast unit display
-Fixed refractometer over 1.100 display wrong
-Fixed Steeped hops display
-Added lbs/oz option for grains
-Added Sparge steps to brewsteps

Thanks Mysticmead for the support and understanding, makes it nicer to know people actually appreciate work instead of just wanting everything (which is what it feels like sometimes)

Now for more news....Upcoming features/updates:
-As always any bugs will be fixed quickly
-Display measured data on recipe view page for quick reference
-Strike Temp tool
-Hydrometer temp adjust tool
-Carb tool

Mash volume is incorrect. In BeerSmith I have it compensating for the dead space in the mash tun. BrewAid removes that volume, so the amount is not accurate. It still has the mash strike water in gallons, not quarts, even though I specified quarts in the settings and even reloaded the recipe. It asks me what I want to do with the recipe every time I pick it from the folder (more annoying than anything else).

TV reference: Futurama

Mash volume is incorrect. In BeerSmith I have it compensating for the dead space in the mash tun. BrewAid removes that volume, so the amount is not accurate. It still has the mash strike water in gallons, not quarts, even though I specified quarts in the settings and even reloaded the recipe. It asks me what I want to do with the recipe every time I pick it from the folder (more annoying than anything else).

TV reference: Futurama

Correct on reference

Ok i found the problem with the mash vol units had it referencing the wrong volume setting.

As for the popup on asking what you want to do, what would you recommend to both give the option to do multiple things and make it less annoying. its in there to give more options and also prevent accidental opening of recipes when scrolling through list?

As for the Deadspace, ive looked into it, and I was using the wrong tun deadspace, its in the BSMX file twice, once for equipment and once for the mash because I was looking at the mash I did my equations slightly off. Corrected it and the next update will be fixed

IMO, IF I'm going through the list of recipes, from within BrewAide, then I'm looking to open one of them. If I have trouble navigating on my device, that's MY issue.

Maybe have an option to open/import a recipe instead of using the folder button?

Waiting for the update to resolve the mash volume issue.

BTW, I typically use quarts for the mash strike water volume, and gallons for the sparge water. Having quarts for both would be better, IMO, than mixing it up. Or have the option to select within the settings...

I would love to see as a part of the shopping list feature the ability to show changes needed because of hop AA% differences. So if the recipe calls for 1oz of a 4.5%, and all the have of that hop is a 7% what different amount should I buy.

Because of the complexity of allowing recipe editing the ability to do this might be too complicated to implement, however I think what I could do is make an IBU tool, it would have an input for the information needed and tell you how much IBUs a certain hop addition would add to the recipe. Would that be beneficial/worth it overall?

or

I might be able to have it show the IBU contribution on the shopping list, and then when you enter the Hop into the substitution list (which will be two seperate list, wont be able to update recipe) it will show the IBU contrib on that list so you can edit it and make it match what you are substituting.

Going to have a busy couple weeks as im working during the nights starting thursday until the following friday, then Im taking a vacation (so wont be able to code cause I dont have a laptop) so Ill try and get one last update with the fixes from this last update and a couple new features in before I go to hold everyone over until I return and can do more work on it.

Is anybody having trouble with BeerXML opening. I got one error report for an error, and it has to do with carb data, but cant reproduce the problem. Got a bad rating because of it also.

I hate it when people rate low because of ONE bug that they could be the only person having that problem. I'll copy a few BeerXML recipes over to local and see if it errors for me

I think it might be their file is not formatted right from wherever they exported from, working on making it be ok with all cases

Back