Use of Pectic Enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruDaddy

Reaction score
I have a honey cream ale in primary and it looks very cloudy. I recall when making a fruited ale that I read some things about using pectic enzymes to reduce haze and I thought I saw in the threads that honey may have pectin induced haze as well. But searching back through the threads, I couldn't find this, so maybe I imagined it.

Anyway, will pectic enzyme help clear up a beer with honey in it? If so, when where should I put it in? My beer is coming to end of primary and I'll probably rack to secondary in a few days. Also, how much should be used? The pectic enzyme that I have says to use 3/4 teaspoon per gallon.

Ok, I'm completely new here and all, but I'm 95% sure that there's no pectin in honey.

The reason you used the pectic enzymes with the fruit ale, is because pectin is found in the cell walls of various plants (fruits) and will cloud the beer (pectin is generally used to make jams, jellies etc...).

Latest posts

Back