Irish stout primary only - how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfraier

Reaction score
How long should I leave my Irish stout in the primary before bottling? Is 2-3 weeks enough time?

What temp are you fermenting at? Personally, I keep most of my beers in the Primary for a minimum of 3 weeks prior to kegging. I have gone as long as 5 weeks with no ill affects. What yeast are you using on that stout and what was your O.G.?

A month in a ale pale ok? I don't have a blowoff tube for my carboy. The temp is mid 60's for fermentation and its going like gang busters as we speak.

I can wait a month.....have a break over x-mas that would make a good time for bottling and getting another batch going.

A month in a ale pale ok? I don't have a blowoff tube for my carboy. The temp is mid 60's for fermentation and its going like gang busters as we speak.

I can wait a month.....have a break over x-mas that would make a good time for bottling and getting another batch going.

A Month for a Pale Ale is Fine. Remember, you want your Yeast to do it's FULL JOB of cleaning up you're beer. Also, make the $3.00 investment and get yourself a Blow Off Tube. You'll thank me some day. ;)

A Month for a Pale Ale is Fine. Remember, you want your Yeast to do it's FULL JOB of cleaning up you're beer. Also, make the $3.00 investment and get yourself a Blow Off Tube. You'll thank me some day. ;)

Its on the list for the next order.....just have to get the purchase order number from the accounts payable department (wife). As long as there is a rasberry wheat coming down the line I can talk her into it.

I can use a 5 gallon carboy with blowoff tube for 5 ga batch right? that would be great because I could get a couple batches going at once.:mug:

A month in the primary? Man have I been doing this the hard way. ( and the wrong way ) You all have done this more than me.....I'll take your word for it.

What is the OG and the yeast ? Lower gravity brews peak sooner and you can get away with bottling/kegging ealier if fermentation has finished and the yeast has fallen out of suspension. I feel it's very yeast/brew dependant. If you fermented cool and steady, have a lower gravity and a high floc. yeast, there's nothing to be gained from sitting on it for an arbitrary number of weeks after fermentation is complete.

I brewed an Irish Stout with S-04. Two weeks in, the yeast cake was very tight and firm so I bottled. I can pour the whole bottle and not get any yeast. S-04 is incredible. Too bad it has a very distinctive English mouthfeel, or I would probably use it in American Ales too....

Most importantly, is the gravity holding steady? At 1.042, I'd say, it isn't done yet. If the gravity is reading the same over a 3 day period, the fermenting is done, but still let it sit for a couple weeks before bottling.

Most importantly, is the gravity holding steady? At 1.042, I'd say, it isn't done yet. If the gravity is reading the same over a 3 day period, the fermenting is done, but still let it sit for a couple weeks before bottling.

No.

It just got going a couple days ago. Its definately not done yet.

Definately wait till the gravity is steady at the bare minimum. The longer you let it sit, the better the beer will be. Let the yeast do its thing, which is more than just fermentation. 3-4 weeks is a good general rule of thumb. Some beers will be ready sooner and others, not so much, but 3-4 weeks is a good basic timeline.

Back