[Alcohol In beer] ... How [high] can you go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
(supposed to be a play on Run DMC ... Or maybe not)

Anyway. how do you get a beer with a high alcohol content?

My understanding is that alcohol content is a function of the difference between OG and FG. That being said, it seems to me that to get a high OG beer you add more grains and boil it longer and to have a bigger difference between OG and FG you add more yeast and let it sit in the carboy longer.

Does this sound right?

Yes, but there are limitations, of course, and a great deal of attention on behalf of the brewer to achieve the really potent stuff.

This is directly from White Labs in regards to the WLP009 super high gravity yeast:

Brewers Notes:
Flavors from this yeast vary greatly with the beer produced. The higher the gravity, the more winey the result. Beers over 16% ABV begin to taste less like beer, and more like fortified wines. With low gravity beers, this yeast produces a nice, subtle English ale-like ester profile.As the gravity increases, some phenolic character is evident, followed by the winey-ness of beers over 16% ABV. Most fermentations will stop between 12-16% ABV unless these high gravity tips are performed:

Aerate very heavily, 4 times as much as with a normal gravity beer. Less oxygen dissolves into solution at high gravity.
Pitch 3-4 times as much yeast as normal.
Consider aerating intermittently during the first 5 days of fermentation. This will help yeast cells during a very difficult fermentation. Aerate with oxygen for 30 seconds or air for 5-10 minutes.
Higher nutrient levels can allow yeast to tolerate higher alcohol levels. Use 2 times the normal nutrient level. This is especially important when using WLP099 to make wine and mead, which have almost no nutrient level to begin with.
Do not start with the entire wort sugar at once. Begin fermentation with a wort that would produce a 6-8% beer, and add wort (it can be concentrated) each day during the first 5 days. This can be done together with aeration. This is mandatory if the reported 25% ABV is to be achieved.

(supposed to be a play on Run DMC ... Or maybe not)

Anyway. how do you get a beer with a high alcohol content?

My understanding is that alcohol content is a function of the difference between OG and FG. That being said, it seems to me that to get a high OG beer you add more grains and boil it longer and to have a bigger difference between OG and FG you add more yeast and let it sit in the carboy longer.

Does this sound right?

How high do you want? The WLP009 will do 14-15% easy with an all malt wort mashed for fermentability. It is the Thomas Hardy's yeast, not some distillers yeast or anything as people speculate.

There was an article in BYO or Zymurgy a few years back about making a 20%+ all malt beer, that is a good read if you want to go huge.

Making a high alcohol beer isn't really all that hard. Making one that tastes like something you'd actually want to drink is the tricky part.

Making a high-alcohol beer is easy if you treat your yeast nicely. Making a low-alcohol beer that is full of flavor and mouthfeel is a real challenge.

Once you go over 10-11% it gets very difficult to make something worth drinking. I only know a handful of homebrewers who have managed it.

I made a 17.7% beer once. It was a real pain, with feeding it over and over, boiling extract and sugar for hours to reduce the volume, and adding new yeast each time. I started with US-05, then second feeding was EC-1117 (or is it 1118?), then finally the WLP Super high gravity. Still, I ended up with a final gravity around 1.040-1.050.

Actually the guy at my LHBS made a Utopias-style beer to around 24% and it's pretty good. Even just a few months old it was real nice, an ounce at a time, anyway.

AFAIK the highest fermented ABV is the latest Utopias, at around 25%. The Brewdog beers and those German beers competing around 40% are all ice-distilled.

I made one up to around 20% once. It was, like ksbrain said, more of a pain 'feeding' the brew bump up the alcohol content. I think it was 3-4 different times where I would add additional fermentables to bump it up. I finished it with 4# of blueberries. It was good, but I haven't done one again in over 5 years.

Back