Different yeast for Kolsch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
I am entering a Homebrew Competition where everyone is using the same Kolsch recipe but the same yeast can not be used and you can not use the standard GermanAle/Kolsch yeast.
Can anyone recommend a unique yeast for a Kolsch recipe?
I was thinking maybe WLP036 Dusseldorf Alt.

I will be brewing a Kolsch next week with Safale US-05. I used it on a cream ale and it turned out great. I just used Kolsch yeast on a hybrid Dunkel and it was ok but didn't floc very well. I am trying to not use gelatin if possible.

I dunno, maybe a California Common yeast? But, obviously, it won't be the same as a kolsch at all.

To me, the defining characteristic of a Kolsch is the yeast. Without the yeast, you basically have a blonde ale (IMHO). With that said, I would recommend looking into what yeasts are good with blonde ales. Perhaps a Belgian Blonde Ale might be good? Or Wyeast suggests a few also:

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_styledetails.cfm?ID=139

My first thought after reading this is that is true. But, If Kolsh yeast offers Clean, crisp slight fruitiness and mod floc than if you find a yeast that is clean, crisp, slight fruitiness and higher floc than it really is the same.

Thoughts? Perhaps a German lager fermented in the low 60s instead the high 50s.

I think it might help if you posted the recipe. I'm expecting German Pilsner Malt, 1.050 OG, and some German hops (Tett maybe, I use Hallertauer).

I am entering a Homebrew Competition where everyone is using the same Kolsch recipe but the same yeast can not be used and you can not use the standard GermanAle/Kolsch yeast.
Can anyone recommend a unique yeast for a Kolsch recipe?
I was thinking maybe WLP036 Dusseldorf Alt.

You know, this might be a bit weird, but given what you need, how about Notty? Ferments dry and has good flocculation. I read on the Danstar site that it has been used to brew lagers.....

Back