Forgot to add Yeast Nutrient...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunnright00

Reaction score
...can I add it to the primary? Should I bother?

I've never used it before, but the instructions say to add at the last 10 minutes of boil.

Should I just save it for next time?

last 10 minutes of boil makes me think you are talking about Irish Moss. A clarifier.

If that is in fact what you didnt use, Dont sweat it. More times than not, I forget it.
Just takes a little bit longer for the beer to get clear.

Nope. I remembered the moss.

This is Wyeast Beer Nutrient Blend.
Now that I look at it, it doesn't say "Yeast" nutrient anywhere, but it's made by Wyeast...

I would not worry about it for this batch. I'm sure it will be fine. Lots of people don't use any yeast nutrients and do OK.

Just remember next time.

Some people never add nutrient, and they still make beer. Some people add it to the starter, but not to the boil. It will help keep the yeast in top form, and possibly prevent a 1.020 stuck ferment, but isn't absolutely necessary. Just save it for the next batch.

What kind of yeast did you use? Dry or liquid?
If liquid did you make a starter?

Reason i ask, If you had a dry packet you will be fine unless you made a big beer. Then the extra goodies would have helped out.

If this is just a normal beer ya made, Adding the nutrient will help the fermintation, And even get you a lower FG.

Now that ya allready have it in the carboy, I am guessing you are to late.

Personaly, I have never used it. When i make my barleywine i was thinking about getting some to give it a try.

Beer generally doesn't need yeast nutrient unless you are doing something heavily adjuncted. Also, if I was doing 100% extracts I might throw some in just-in-case, but probably wouldn't need.

If you're paranoid about it, it won't hurt to boil some up and put it in the primary. But you should be okay.

Thanks for the replies, here's a little more info.

Yes, it's a big beer. Imperial stout with an OG of 1.096.

I used White Labs 005 yeast, and I made a starter, first time. That's actually why I got the nutrient, but then I read the label and it said to add to the boil. Maybe I should have added it to the starter?

I know it's not necessary to use this, I've made many batches without.

My main question is, will it help or hurt if I add it now?

I doubt it would hurt, especially if the yeast haven't taken off yet. It'll be most useful during the growth phase I think. Boil it up in a cup or so of water and throw it in.

If it's been less than 24 hours, a beer that big will likely benefit from the nutrient. If there are any signs of fermentation, then no.

It's been less than 24 hrs, and there IS fermentation going on.

Foaming up like a mother!!

058f1cf7e7d5__1266232598000.jpeg

Remember next time to use it in your starter. Go to wyeast website and you can follow the simple starter info they have. I use it in my starters only, unless the beer is over 1.060 then I use half that amount recommned in the boil. It does make a diffrence in your starter, but I bet you will be fine either way.

Back