IIPA/Braggot recipe: critique/help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tristero

Reaction score
I'm in the planning stages for my first high gravity beer. I'm planning to up th OG with honey because A. I have a cheap source and B. my mash tun isn't big enough for a 30# grain bill. Here's the plan for 6.5 gallons:

13# Marris Otter
2# Munich Malt
1# Aromatic Malt
.5 # Cara Pils/Dextrine
5# Honey

Without the honey I'm shooting for an OG around 1.065 the honey bumping it up to 1.095.

Hopping schedule:

75 Min- 1 oz. Simcoe
60 Min- 1 oz. Glacier
45 Min- 1 oz. Centennial
10 Min- 1 oz. Vanguard
5 Min- 1 oz. Crystal
1 Min- 1 oz. Hallertau
Dry hop- 1 oz. Simcoe 1 oz. Amarillo

I was thinking of pitching a big healthy White labs California Ale yeast starter. Then adding the honey in a couple of intervals directly to the primary. I was also thinking of re-pitching a high gravity yeast to get it to finish under 1.020.

I would really appreciate any advice on the recipe, but particularly with the fermentation as I've never done a high gravity or used honey before. Thanks in advance.

Sounds more like mead IIPA with all that honey. I hope its decent quality honey because the taste really comes out and reflects in your brew. I can imagine what the beer will taste like and it seems half good and half weird lol. I've brewed more mead than wine or beer in general due to me having a cheap source as well; I usually carbonate it like a beer. It's great stuff but cheap honey makes for some shat mead.

I think the 60 and 45 minute hop additions are kind of a waste. If you are going to do a 70 minute hop addition, just add your bittering hops then. You will still get the same ibu, use less hops, and the flavor and aroma will not be impacted (would actually improve if you bumped some down to the last 20 minutes of the boil). Also, Hallertau and Vanguard seem a bit odd with your other hop choices - but that is nitpicking though.

Back