Auto siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veggiess

Reaction score
So I decided to finally buy one, but am too stupid to use it. Had to keep pumping down on the racking cane to keep a flow. Got sediment in my secondary and left some good stuff in the primary. Wound up with foaming cider, which is probably oxidized now. How does this stupid thing work?

So I decided to finally buy one, but...am too stupid to use it...well, you asked...

OK. Here goes: Remove the inner cane from the outer tube. Lower the tube into the brew. I use a spring clamp to keep it from hitting bottom to keep sediment out. Hang the clamp on the rim of the bucket so it does not hit bottom.

Insert the hose end into the secondary container. Push the (lubricated/wet) center cane all the way into the outer tube. Voila! It should work.

After you rinse/wash it be sure to keep the parts disassembled. If you put the syphon together the seal will be stored in a collapsed state and may not seal when used again and/or dry out.

I wouldn't worrry about oxidizing yet.

When I first gor mine, I had a problem with the siphon tube not being tight enough around the cane. It was sucking in air and killing my siphon. Might want to check that if you're doing everything else right.

TheJadedDog said:
I had that problem the other day when I racked to the secondary. Any suggestions on how to get that sucker nice and tight?

Buy the right sized tubing?

There are usually bubbles inside the tubing where the cane meets the siphon tube, but you can squeeze the tube a bit, once the flow is established, to get the bubbles out.

:cross:

air bubbles with hose and siphon... I end up cutting an inch or so off every so often as it starts getting stretched out at the end. I tried the hose clamp once and that seemed to make it worse for me.

I think the others are talking about the gasket on the inner cane that slides with the inner cane against the inside of the large cane. I also had this problem, i call the manufacturer and he sent me 3 replacement gaskets at no charge. The best way to keep them sealing tightly is to leave the unit dissasembled so the gasket can return to its orig. shape. Also wetting it with hot water before use makes it supple and preform better.

I had the issue with the tubing leaking air at the connection to the racking cane. It meant I kept having to pump my siphon. Now I just use a rubber band each time. One pump and forget it. :)

With my auto siphon it requires me to pump it rapidly about 5 or 6 times for the siphon to start. When i first got mine and it didnt start right away I was confused as well. Also as others have said make sure your secondary is up high like on a counter top and your bottling bucket or keg is down on the ground.

If you are having to pump your autosiphon more than once then there is something wrong. Either your autosiphon is broken/damaged or it is being used incorrectly.

One thing that I know I've seen people do wrong is to put the autosiphon in the beer and pull it up so rapidly that ther eis air in the chamber. Pull it up smoothly and push it down smoothly. You need not do it fast, just smooth.

Latest posts

Back