Leaking Cornelius Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbey

Reaction score
One of my cornelius kegs has a leak. I have traced the leak to the large latch in the top. The in and out valves are fine. The gasket is new, but I have noticed that the lid does not seem to seat perfectkt in the opening. Even when I put the top on and hit it with a bunch of pressure I hear it seat, but it still leaks....slowly, but it leaks. The opening in the keg is NOT perfect, it's a little bit tweaked, but it seems like it should seal???? Any tips or tricks, or is the keg shot?

Thanks!

Gilbey

i had the same problem with one of mine, and it went to the garbage pile. don't want to waste CO2.............
my HBC makes pre-chillers for their immersion chillers out of "junk" corny kegs. the club blacksmith welds on hose fittings where the posts are. then, they dump a 7# bag of ice in it, fill with water, and wha-la! big ol' pre-chiller to hook up the immersion chiller to. works great too!

I had two kegs with similar problems. One just took an extra coat of keg lube and the other was fixed with extra lube and by turning the cap 180°. Good luck

Wild

Back