Wyeast 3068

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txag2007

Reaction score
It looks like quite a few people have had success making cider using the Wyeast 3068 instead of the Red Star Montrachet.

I am about to start a batch with 5 gallons of apple juice, 2 lbs of corn sugar, and the Wyeast 3068. Is everyone fermenting this at the recommended 68 F or is there a better temperature for using this yeast with cider?

Thanks.

Also, do you need a yeast starter when using the liquid yeast due to the high O.G.?

no starter needed, only simple sugars for this recipe.

3068 is good, depending on what you think good is.

What flavor/taste profile are you looking for compared to apfelwein? many people here can tell you exactly what to do if you give them an idea of the flavor profile you are looking for.

While using Wyeast 3068 the higher you go within the comfortable temperature range of the yeast the more banana esters you'll get, in the lower range you'll experience more clove-like charcteristics . When making my last apple cider I decided to go below the normal fermenting range of the yeast and go an over powering peanut butter flavour and aroma. Unless that appeals to you just stick with 68*F to get a pleasant balance of the two.

Increasing the pitching rate by making a starter will reduce the boldness of the esters and phenolics so I just pitched the whole packet without a starter.

Thanks for the info - it's currently chugging away at 68F. How long should the fermentation last at this temperature?

Back