Pilsner malt + winter = DMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
Ive decided that I cant user pilsner malt in any of the brews I do during the winter. This is the second winter I tried a recipe with pilsner malt in it a both turned out really bad. A lot of dms. I just cant get the boil vigorous enough to drive it out. Lesson learned. So now I have 10 gallons of "creamed corn ale".

I wonder about that. I think getting rid of the dms is of course a boil but also running it long enough to boil off a % of the wort. I know in the winter my boil is not the strongest but I boil off more volume in a shorter amount of time. 90 minutes is recommended boil time for adjunct grains but during the winter I would not have much wort left after a 90 minute boil.

So I heat up a bunch of straight water and add it to the boil at the midway point. That way I get the 90 min boil and still end up with the right volumes.

Works for me anyway and my boil is just enough to achieve a good hot break

You could get a bigger/more powerful burner, no? I brew using Pilsner malt in the winter and I never get any DMS, though I use a 10" banjo (KAB4) and it gets my wort to vigorous boil rather quickly. Just a thought.

Just curious why you believe that Pilsner malt is to blame? Wouldn't 2-row have the same issue if you think it is a boil problem?

I have a blichmann burner, but running the burner that long and that hard the tank started to freeze up and I couldnt get the heat anymore. I didnt have a second tank available.

I hear that a bigger tank shouldnt give me as much issue.

Just curious why you believe that Pilsner malt is to blame? Wouldn't 2-row have the same issue if you think it is a boil problem?

From what I have read, pilsner malt is more app to give you dms problems without a long,strong boil.

Pilsner malt is a 6-row variety (the number of rows of kernels) and 6-row has a lot more SMS, the precursor to DMS than 2-row malts.

The object is to boil off the SMS precursors so the DMS doesn't form later.

Pilsner malt is a 6-row variety (the number of rows of kernels) and 6-row has a lot more SMS, the precursor to DMS than 2-row malts.

The object is to boil off the SMS precursors so the DMS doesn't form later.

Yes exactly. The problem is that in the cold, my system cant handle getting a vigorous enough boil. Or in the case of this brew the tank started freezing, causing the output to be less.

Im not saying this is a problem for everyone, just pointing out a fact for me and maybe others with similar equipment and in a similar climate.

Yes exactly. The problem is that in the cold, my system cant handle getting a vigorous enough boil. Or in the case of this brew the tank started freezing, causing the output to be less.

I was just doing some reading on DMS and apparently DMS forms when the wort is between boiling temps and pitching temps so cooling the wort down quickly (cold break) should help minimize the formation of DMS. At least one good thing about the winter is tap water is colder which helps the wort cool quickly.

I also do full boils outside in the winter and have found that some sheets of tin formed into a circle around the base of the burn and tight up close to the kettle walls really helps the wort get maximum heat out of an undersized burner. I can boil 13 gallons nice and heavy easily with my 50,000 BTU bayou burner.

"Pilsner malt is a 6-row variety (the number of rows of kernels) and 6-row has a lot more SMS, the precursor to DMS than 2-row malts."

Nah..

Weyermans, Best, Dingemans, Pilsner malt are 2 row.

Pilsner malt is less kilned which is why it has more SMS.

I'd say if you know you'll get more DMS with pilsner malt in the winter, just avoid pilsner malt in the winter. That seems like a much cheaper, and logical, solution than getting a new burner or doing anything drastic.

Pilsner malt is less kilned which is why it has more SMS.

I'd say if you know you'll get more DMS with pilsner malt in the winter, just avoid pilsner malt in the winter. That seems like a much cheaper, and logical, solution than getting a new burner or doing anything drastic.

That was kind of the point of my post. I have a great burner. Cold weather and the tank freezing up are what killed me.

"Pilsner malt is a 6-row variety (the number of rows of kernels) and 6-row has a lot more SMS, the precursor to DMS than 2-row malts."

Nah..

Weyermans, Best, Dingemans, Pilsner malt are 2 row.

See, learn something new everyday! I had thought I read that all pilsner malt was made from 6-row barley.

Back