Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Saison
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Saison
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.094 SG
Estimated Color: 9.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
15.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.2 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2.9 %
0.75 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 27.0 IBU
0.50 oz Sterling [7.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
0.50 oz Sterling [7.50%] (10 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
.5oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.50 lb Turbinado (10.0 SRM) Sugar 2.9 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Saison I Ale (White Labs #WLP565) Yeast-Ale

Bottled with turbinado sugar.. This beer is amazing. very easy drinking. I will be making this one again. I used fresh zest and suggest using it, it made a world of difference. I will never use dried zest again. Mash very low and long, you want to try and dry this thing out as much as possible, also ferment higher than normal, I used my bath tub with 85 degree water, and raised it even higher later in the fermentation.

I brewed this a while back and actually won an Honorable Mention in only my second ever competition. I did a partial mash version though with Pilsner LME and used dried orange peel instead of fresh. People in my HB club actually said the orange peel was very noticable. Just wanted to say thanks for the recipe and share my results with you. By the way, I think it's delicious as well. Looking forward to brewing this one AG down the road. Cheers!

My local brew shop, stomp them grapes/hop to it, put together a partial kit I bought. I'm a novice and live apt style too.
4oz flaked maize (don't mill)
4oz flaked wheat (don't mill)
8oz 2row malt
3oz miscuit malt

7.75lbs light LME
2oz golding hops

.5oz golding
.5oz saaz
1lb belgian clear candy sugar

.5oz saaz

I used the Wyeast 3274 and as you can read here it likes it hot, I started it out next to my radiator with blankets around 80, but mine's water controlled by the building so it's been around mid 70s the rest of the time. Three weeks and its only at .021, recipe says it should get down to .015 at least. Might just rack it and wait. It seems to be slow and get stuck and like it warm. But the last I tested I tasted and it was good, very strong citrus flavors all from the yeast, no orange peel or coriander.

Thats an interesting recipe. I used a similar one for a sour i have in my oak barrel. The saison i used i got from a friend that one the spirit of belgium award in DC with it a few years back. its pilsner, wheat, mt.hood, hauller and I add mustard seed, coriander and orange peel bitter also along with some brett. turned out nice :)

I'd like to see that recipe. Mine came out good, I've tried after 3mos bottled and it's really good, but I'd like to try a different recipe, it's good really good but not great.

Latest posts

Back