Removing sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry08

Reaction score
I am currently trialing this idea. I recently adopted a secondary clearing container and the results now I have sampled my efforts are better than any beer I have made before and that is no mean statement as I brewed great beer.

Anyway, as I was emptying the last dregs of an almost sediment free bottle I noticed the last drops very slightly clouded my beer. Nothing much to worry about but after gradually emptying the next I had one of my brain waves. Very painful, still I thought to myself Terry (My name) what if after bottling you stored the bottle upside down to let the little sediment settle on the inside of the cap. Then after 3 weeks when the beer has conditioned gradually turn the bottle to chill.

I am wondering how much will be removed with the cap or if it will just drop in the beer. If the majority sticks what's left should be minimal.

Call me stupid if you wish, just do not call me when its my shout or worse, late for lunch.

Looking forward to comments or improvements.

Guys in Champagne use such technique for wines an it works well for them. Nevertheless I think there are easier ways to make sediment-free beer.

Methode Champenoise for carbonating champagne actually does something like that. (They also then freeze the cork, take it out and scratch out the sediment). I'm guessing that the trub would just fall back down eventually, unless you consume the beer quite quickly.

I would think if you bent the cap to get it off the sediment would just fall in, but im not sure. I have been putting my primaries into the fridge for 3 or 4 days before kegging which works great. I don't think I got any sediment from the last batch that I kegged. So after about a month of primary place it into a fridge and letit sit for 3 or 4 more days and that should help.

But I guess that only helps if you have a fridge. So if your don't.... go buy one off CL :D

Actually I would place the bottles in the fridge upside down and slowly turn as I remove the cap. There is a downside I have just adopted a label on the cap and it would mean I label the bottom of the bottle.

Stupid idea perhaps. It must be the beer I brew

NOTE TO SELF:

DRINK don't THINK

Latest posts

Back